winter wrapping

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by honolua, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Soccerdad I don't think the hoodies stuff is right. That is similar to what I was asking about the polyester doona. (Duvet) stuff that is very light and white. I get the impression it specialy developed for the job.

Liz

2. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

That's actually what I was trying to say, but not clearly enough. Funny they'd call this stuff, whatever it is, "fleece". My grandfather fleeced sheep, and car salesmen have tried to fleece me, but that exhausts my fleece knowledge.

3. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Really lolololololololol at soccordad...ahahahahahah fleeced lol

Its Fleece if you know it or not...Its actually a good product which once traced down you will buy and buy again.

About time for me to start buying my Fleece.

Just to confuse you, here we can buy the same stuff as ajacket for the trees.k

4. honolua

honolua Active Member

Hi,
    yes, that is fleece. I find the best thing is to go to Ikea and purchase those really cheap small fleece throws. It is cheaper than buying winter fleece wrap at Home Depot. As for your bananas, I wrapped mine in burlap (purchased at Garden Works in bulk), wound that around the stalk once the leaves had gone brown and died after the first frost (cut those leaves off once brown and dead), then after a few turns of the burlap, used cheap tarp from Home Depot. Tied it up with string and voila! Some Vancouver folks don't even do that; they just let the plant die and in the spring, it comes back (even after last winer)! That works if you don't mind the plant starting from the ground each year, thus never really getting huge/tall. If you want your banana to eventually get very tall and provide some shade, you need to wrap it and in the spring once the threat of frost is gone, uncover it all, give it a slight fresh cut, and watch it sprout from the slimy blackish stump. That way, you keep some height that the stalk grows during the summer.
    good luck!

5. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

I had already suggested this (doona or duvets made from polyester) Another source can be 2nd hand shops if it's ok to use them.

Liz

6. honolua

honolua Active Member

Hi,
    yes, that is fleece. I find the best thing is to go to Ikea and purchase those really cheap small fleece throws. It is cheaper than buying winter fleece wrap at Home Depot. As for your bananas, I wrapped mine in burlap (purchased at Garden Works in bulk), wound that around the stalk once the leaves had gone brown and died after the first frost (cut those leaves off once brown and dead), then after a few turns of the burlap, used cheap tarp from Home Depot. Tied it up with string and voila! Some Vancouver folks don't even do that; they just let the plant die and in the spring, it comes back (even after last winer)! That works if you don't mind the plant starting from the ground each year, thus never really getting huge/tall. If you want your banana to eventually get very tall and provide some shade, you need to wrap it and in the spring once the threat of frost is gone, uncover it all, give it a slight fresh cut, and watch it sprout from the slimy blackish stump. That way, you keep some height that the stalk grows during the summer.
    good luck!

7. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

Right now my biggest one is about 6' tall, having been bought in the spring at 1.5' tall. I'd love to keep it indoors over the winter, but my greenhouse - which I must keep fairly warm for the other plants - is only about 7.5' high, so another 1.5' of growth over the winter and I'd be in trouble. I could chop it when it hit 7.5' but what would be the result when I put it outside in the spring? Any ideas?

8. Charles Richard

Charles Richard Active Member 10 Years

When I was in Home Depot (Vancouver) last fall they had a product called 'Select Winter Protector (Protection ?) for covering shrubs through the winter. Someone in this forum had mentioned Home Depot.
    It looked similar without opening the role, to that of which is sold here in many garden centers as 'Remay Cloth' ?
    I had not heard of 'fleece' either, but it would be good to know.

9. DonGab

DonGab New Member

Here on the BC tropical island of Gabriola I do nothing for the winter for either my palm trees or banana plants. One palm tree is about 16' tall, the other about 4' tall and some of my banana plants are 12' tall.