Winter sowing

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by SpringTurtle, Jan 28, 2010.

1. SpringTurtle

SpringTurtle Member

Hello,

I am going to attempt winter sowing for thefirst time this year and living in the pacific northwest, I am wondering when is the best time to start veggie seeds in the house for this summers garden?

Any suggestions would be great.

ST

2. cindys

cindys Active Member

Depends upon where on the West Coast you live... Have a look at the West Coast Seeds website...this page is particularly useful:

http://www.westcoastseeds.com/gardenresources/

There is a planting chart, a winter gardening guide and more. They also have growing guides for each of their seeds.

3. SpringTurtle

SpringTurtle Member

That is great..thanks so much:)

4. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

As Cindy says it really depends where you live in the Pacific Northwest, on the coast, inland, north or south, BC or in the States when you are talking outside gardening. I too would check West Coast Seeds' page because when the seeds need to be planted inside will depend on when they will go outside.
    Good luck with your summer crop.
    Margaret

5. galiano

galiano Active Member

I live on Southern Vancouver Island and every year I can't wait to start seeds in our sunny, south facing window. So because of my impatience I usually start a little too soon with planting. I'm about to seed some lettuce but will wait until early March to really get seeding. Westcoast Seeds planting guide as suggested, is excellent.