Windstorm outcomes?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by KarinL, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

Karin: "Enjoy" is definitely not the right word! I had to check up on some animals (they were OK) and most of the time out there I was thoroughly frightened! One of the branches that came down quite nearby was about 6" in diameter and 20'+ long, and there was continuous noise of breaking trees.
    Tonight's forcast is for 90k winds. Bah! By the way, our local weather station (about 6Km away) recorded gusts over 170k that evening.

Ralph

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

three pruning jobs today, two I was climbing in the wind (not high though) and the last one I had just about finished pruning a 40 or so year old Kwanzan cherry and across the street a 40 foot western red cedar broke at a codominant joint about 10 feet off the ground and lande on the house (the neighbor) CRUNCH!
    I told my helper, ok, lets call it a day, pack up the gear.
    Then I went over and knocked on the neighbors door to let her know that the tree had fallen, and she would be best served to not go near the remainder of the tree until the wind dies down, and of course she could call me and let me know if she wants me to dismantle the piece that fell, tomorrow when the wind dies down. good luck everyone!

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

A Douglas fir fell on a house north of here. There were no roots on the side opposite, where the lawn is. Apparently they were bulldozed away when the property was cleared decades (?) ago and the tree took until now to fail. Or there were no roots under the thin turf for some other reason.

Another, closer place had a Douglas fir start moving around and lean onto another tree. A friend was hired to take it out, came by to see if we wanted chips.

4. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Thought I'd update this thread with a report that the neighbour's conifer was taken down last week - just five days prior to yet another amazing windstorm, as it turned out! It was a horror show getting it done, as the people who had actually promised to take it down in January subsequently sold the house in the summer without doing so, but fortunately the new people were rational, neighbourly, and responsive to our concerns. But done it is, and we slept well the night of the storm.

The storm is said to have been as powerful as the 2006 one, but I don't see as much damage in the city itself. Seems like the suburbs were hit harder this time. Also worth noting that this was a month earlier than last year.

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Good to hear, Karin.