Hedges: "Window" in my hedge

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by SuzieQ, Nov 23, 2009.

1. SuzieQ

SuzieQ Member

I tried some arborvitae plant food spikes and a little extra watering. That helped mine. But now I have a new problem. There's a "porthole" on one of my bushes that the neighbor's kids made by breaking off branches so they could "see me better" when I was working in the yard one day and my back was turned. Is there any way to encourage new growth in the area? The hole is about halfway up about face height.

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Welcome SuzieQ.
    It would help to know what is growing there to make your hedge ? Conifer, hawthorn, holly etc

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

This post was moved to its own thread (it had revived an old one), but it was posted under an arborvitae thread (Susie also mentions it re: fertilizer spikes)

4. SuzieQ

SuzieQ Member

Sorry, I was following the arborvitae thread. I was talking about my arborvitae trees. They're about 9 feet tall. I don't think there's any hope for encouraging new branches in the "porthole" but I thought I'd ask in case someone has a spiffy idea.