Windmill palms

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by palma, Jul 19, 2006.

1. palma

palma Member

Hiello experts,

I come to you for advice. I have just purchased 4 apporximately 15" palms and would like to know what to do next. I have heard of a couple of advice but would like the goods on everything to do with starting them out on a good note. I have also been told they are very resilient, low maintenance and thrive easily.

here's what I have heard:

1/ place them in larger clay pots (clay better than plastc) and if so what is the best way to do so. ie use potting soil (how much, fill pot to the rim?)add some granual 6 month slow release fertilizers?

2/winter prepping- hence the pots so I can move them onto my front deck away from direct winter rain, weather, frost/snow etc. and if there is sun light I can place them directly back onto the lawn.

3/ wrap base with burlap for winter

4/how much watering should I do

5/ if I plant them in the garden is it better raise bet to enure they are not water logged

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

First off, these 15" palms are rather small and therefore haven't attained their true level of hardiness. They should be fine for most of what winter can throw at us.

1/ No real advantange to clay over plastic pots. With clay or terra cotta you'll have to water more often. I prefer wooden planters as they provide a better insulation against cold. Roots are more suseptable to cold than the top growth. I like planting them in-ground an that solves the freezing roots problem.

2/ If your'e not planting them leave them as you suggest. No need to move them around during the winter.

3/ Only wrap with burlap during the coldest weather. Remove the burlap once the weather breaks. The growth point where the leaves emerge is the most tender part of the palm. Leaving wet burlap on the palms over winter will promote mold to form.

4/ Average water is fine. Winter will provide a good dousing without any intervention.

5/ If you plant these out, ensure that there's adequate drainage. Slow draining or standing water is bad news for these palms. A raised bed can only help to the point where the water table is.

One final note ... look up before you plant. These are palm "trees" and will eventually run into power lines and roof overhangs etc when they begin growing upward.

Cheers, and enjoy your new palms! LPN.

3. palma

palma Member

Hi LPN,

The area I want to plant my palms eventually is in a place where my cedar hedges ahve iehter died or are dieing- not a good sign is it. Raising the bed is not a good idea then?

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Depends on why cedars aren't making it. If obviously too wet there, then you will have to get rid of the puddling to grow the palms in same spot. For best appearance windmill palm needs moisture and fertility, but not a mire.

5. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I agree with Ron B's statement regarding it being to wet in that location. Too dry can also be troublesome, and I have some to prove that point.