Windmill Palm Struggling

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by mikesig83, Jul 30, 2013.

1. mikesig83

mikesig83 New Member

Hello,

I had a landscaper plant a windmill palm in my backyard in March. I noticed some slow deterioration of the plant about a month into it being in the ground. I thought it was just shock from its new home in the ground. Within the past few weeks, I have noticed a considerable decline the in the health of the plant. This is my third windmill in this spot. I've killed two so far. I planted one in 2010 right next to it and its had no issues and looks great. Not sure why I am having so many issues with this one. I noticed the ground had poor drainage, so I tried building up the base a little so water wouldn't be standing when I watered/it rained out. I've attached some pictures so you can view my issue. I am not so concerned about the low hanging fronds that are browning. I am really concerned about the ones that are standing up straight and are turning brown.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated because my landscaper is no help at all.

Thanks,
    Mike

Attached Files:

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

In Texas Trachycarpus fortunei is best grown as a shade plant.
    Stock grown in shade will sunburn in full sun in our Summer heat. I'd say
    they should be protected (or moved) til they've had an opportunity
    to produce sun hardened leaves.

3. mikesig83

mikesig83 New Member

Thx for the advice. Not sure if that is possible at this point. Will sun burning lead to the death of the plant?

4. saltcedar

Probably won't kill it but it will weaken it which may make it susceptible to other problems.
    If you can put shade cloth or similar over it til Autumn it might help.

5. mikesig83

mikesig83 New Member

Thanks for the info. Do you think it wold be a bad idea if I can only drape the shade cloth over the palm? Meaning the cloth will be touching all of the fronds? I am not sure if I can make something tall enough to go over the top (like a roof) of the palm. I probably could put one tall post in the ground (near the palm) so that it is not lay directly on top of the center spear. It would still be touching the other fronds, however.

Also, I fertilized once in June using the stuff that Calloway's sells. Do you think their root stimulator product would help reduce the shock and help new growth come?

6. saltcedar

Root stimulators are mostly snake oil. Seaweed extracts can have a benefit.
    A light gauzy material like cheese cloth won't do any damage. Avoid heavy patio
    shade cloth. Fertilizers should be avoided on newly transplanted palms at least
    until you see vigorous new growth. Our soils have most needed elements readily
    available excepting Nitrogen.