Windmill Palm is Sick - Noobie

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by SparksITCS, Sep 6, 2007.

1. SparksITCS

SparksITCS Member

Good evening. I've been reviewing all the posts and haven't been able to locate an answer yet. I bought three windmill palms just under 2 months ago. All three have been striving until a few days ago. One of the three is now sick. The symptoms are as follows: The fingers on the palms are closing and the individual branches are starting to become limp. The newest branch has turned very brown.

All three are planted in the same soil and get the same sun - I have an irrigation system that drips in the bed - but I think that this particular palm is a lower area and the ground is damp. So I have turned off the irrigation (2 days ago) to let the ground dry out a bit.

Are these symptoms adequate without providing pictures? Can the palm bounce back if it is due to overwatering?

Thank you all !

Gil

2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Sounds like overwatering mate...pics would help though, to be definite

Ed

3. SparksITCS

SparksITCS Member

Thanks for the response Ed. I'll try to take some pics tomorrow if I get home from work before dark. The next couple of days are suppose to be warm and dry. If this is overwatering will it bounce back after the ground dries up?

4. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Depends how bad it is...I will reserve my judgement until I see the pics, although someone else might have the answer in the interim.

Ed

5. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

As long are the drainage is good, you can water these Trachycarpus fortunei practically every day. In fact they repond well to moist roots. Did you properly back fill the planting hole and not leave air pockets? Is there a potential for standing water in the planting hole? You'll likely have to unearth the palm to find the "root" of it's problem(s).

Cheers, LPN.