Will my little dieffenbachia grow up to be as big as my large one?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by tfrasqueri, Jan 5, 2007.

1. tfrasqueri

tfrasqueri Active Member

I have a very small dieffenbachia (I'm told it's dieffenbachia) and I was wondering if it would grow up to be as big as my very large one. The first pic is the dieffenbachia the day I got it. The second and third pic is the same plant and was taken today and the last pic is my very large dieffenbachia. I was wondering if the plant in the first 3 pics will eventually look like the large plant in the last pic. Also, does anyone have any ideas on how to make my little plant stand up straight? It's been growing in a kind of downward pattern. Thanks for any advice given.
    Tricia

Attached Files:

2. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

it will grow bigger .. it isnt the same as the bigger one . it is a different type .. some grow to be reall big and others just more bushy .. like the small one you just bought . i would give it more sunlight .. early morning sun .. and they are also picky about there water so i would leave some water out over night for watering it .. and also chek for spider mites .. just give it a good misting and if there is a webbing .. use something for mites ..

Marn

3. tfrasqueri

tfrasqueri Active Member

Thanks for the quick response Marn. I can always count on you for advice. Do you by chance know what kind of dieffenbachia it is? My large one is doing better after breaking but I don't want to propagate until I see it's growing healthy on it's own. Also how fast will the smaller one grow? I first got it in September and I'd say it's gotten much healthier since then. Anyway, thanks again for the response. Any other pieces of advice would be very much appreciated.
    Tricia

4. Marn

I do beleive the lil one is a Camile .. here is a link for it ..
    http://www.denverplants.com/foliage/html/DifCamile.htm
    with some info about it.. hope it helps ..
    I also just noticed what kind of pot it was in .. does that thing have holes ??.. or is it just a decorative pot that the orginal pot sits in ??.. if it is the later i would take it out as the evaporation of the water is not that good and can cause root rot in the plant .. i know they look really cool .but they sure hurt the plants .. i would find a nice pot with drainage and a matching tray to do with it if you want something that looks nice ..

Marn

5. tfrasqueri

tfrasqueri Active Member

I did buy the pot because it looked nice but I made sure my husband drilled holes in the bottom for drainage. That should do right? Actually there is one hole for drainage but it's not a very small hole. Thanks for the link on the Camile. I'll be checking it out as soon as I post this reply.

6. Marn

i would actually drill a couple more holes in it . judst to be on the safe side ..
    and also give it more sun that should help it ..

Marn

7. tfrasqueri

tfrasqueri Active Member

I actually have it in a South facing window and it seems to get sun all day. I'll have my husband drill more holes into the planter as soon as possible. Also, do you know where it would possible to purchase the large species dieffenbachia? Like the one in the 4th pic? I wouldn't mind purchasing as seeds or as an already potted plant.
    Thanks for all your help.

8. Marn

im not sure . but mayb chek ebay .. or even some local nurserys..

Marion