Will Honeysuckle get rootbound?

Discussion in 'Small Space Gardening' started by Paulina, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Paulina

Paulina Active Member

Upper Fraser Valley, Beautiful British Columbia!
    I received these Honeysuckle cuttings from my neighbour and they successfully rooted. Now my plan is to grow them up my patio railing and trellis, but I'm worried that once they get bigger they'll get rootbound in this planter box. Any ideas from the pros?

Our patio is on our upper level of the house looking down into our back yard, (also my daycare play area), so poisonous/toxic plants can't be planted in the back yard, plus it would take the plants forever to reach our patio.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

When things get crowded put them in a bigger one. You can cut them back to repot or slide the planter out on its side and off the roots of the vines with the vines left on thef fence.

If it is a wood fence you will want to cut the vines down periodically and prevent them from making a heavy growth the starts to rot the wood anyway. Climbers are charming making a tracery over surfaces, not mounding up into hummocks or forming oppressive walls of thick foliage.

3. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

Honeysuckle roots will soon outgrow your container, and then the plant will be stressed. In addition, these vines require constant moisture to keep up with their rampant growth.
    So, as they grow repot and place in a larger container, and prune constantly to limit the size and to encourage new growth so the plant will appear healthy and vigorous. A much bigger planter or barrel will keep both you and your plant happy. Why not try 2 large planers and try several vines so you have flowers all season. Let an attractive ivy drape over the sides of the planter. Try some annual vines for the summer and tuck in a few shrubby plants in colors that you like. Now you have started on producing a planting to observe and nurture. There is a whole world of plants to explore and only a little soil is needed. Good Luck. Thanks for taking part in our forums.