Will burning a stump eliminate root fungus?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Margot, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

One of my older rhodos died last year of what I suspect was some kind of root fungus. I cut it down and dug out the stump which is still sitting beside the hole it came out of. It's really heavy but I think I could get it into a wheelbarrow then uphill to the truck (far away) or the fire pit (not so far).

I'd rather burn it than truck it away but I wonder if the heat of the fire would kill lingering fungal spores. My fire pit is on the side of a rocky hill so I don't think any remaining spores would be a problem there - but . . .

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

If you pile on enough dry wood to burn the stump up completely, any fungal spores would certainly be killed. If the stump is large and presumably wet, it will obviously require a lot of dry wood.

3. Margot

Thanks Vitog - by the time I can burn anything again in the fall, it will not be a problem to burn the stump completely. So, that's what I'll do.

4. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    If one removes and burns at hot temp the stump - is the disease still in the soil ?

This question posted by Margot originally reminded me of the Apple Tree re-plant studies / experiment — I think circa 1980’s/90’s at the Agriculture Canada Research Station in Summerland BC

Was that a disease re Apple trees or an issue with the soil? I don’t recall

So back to Margot rhodo — does her soil need to lay fallow now?

5. Margot

I was told once that it can take something like 18 years for fungal spores to disappear from the soil. Trouble is that the area where the rhodo died is quite damp for many months through the winter and other shrubs nearby not infrequently lose whole branches . . . so I suspect the disease spores are widespread. Instead of planting anything else in the soil there, I thought I'd roll in a half barrel and plant another rhodo or a small tree in it. It's part of a planting that screens my garden from the neighbour's place so I need something to grow fairly tall, fairly fast.

Attached Files:

6. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    I see what you mean

I am a repeated fan of vine maple - a native so it fits your style.

Acer circinatum

And I have planted in large containers (as well as directly)

and I have moved them fr house to house and I have forgotten them and not watered them ... and I have watered them and I grow clematis up in to them etc

They look well with hostas

And I often put a hanging basket on them winter or summer

And Xmas lights!

Clearly I am smitten

Granted foliage is spring summer fall only tho winter branches are very pretty and I hang my suet for the winter garden birds this side of Salish Sea.

Édit to add 2 pix - I have several vine maple so the pink clematis is now and I think it’s Ville de Lyon

The one with rhodo is a diff vine maple and it’s mid-April rhodo and clematis (clematis is alpina H-something I think - and rhodo Percy Wiseman)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020