wild saskatoons

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by 2annbrow, Oct 25, 2009.

1. 2annbrow

2annbrow Active Member

North Bend OR US;Oregon coast, just N of Coos Bay
    I found this phrase, but despite numerous searches, can't find anything that tells just what a "saskatoon" IS! From context, I think it's either an apple or a plum, but can't get any farther. Could someone please define, and with botanical name? I'd also appreciate knowing whether anybody has info on whether it will live (and fruit) on the Oregon coast.
    Thanks for the help!

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. 2annbrow

2annbrow Active Member

Thanks very much. My blueberries and roses do well, so I'll try it.

4. northerngrapes

northerngrapes Active Member

Hi ; The Saskatoon berry is grown on a large scale on the prairies in Canada. There are also growers in the Dakota's and Montana. You should be able to grow it in Oregon.
    it's also called the june berry or service berry in the US. Saskatoon is a name we call the berry here in Canada.
    Here's some info for you;

http://www.saskfruit.com/modules.php?name=Sections&sop=viewarticle&artid=29

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/plantsci/hortcrop/h938w.htm

The big problem with Juneberry production is diseases and competition with other berry crops ie. blueberries, blackberries etc. Saskatoons produce their best crops in colder climates like the Canadian Prairies and the Upper Midwest of the US.

Cheers

5. 2annbrow

2annbrow Active Member

Hi, prariegrapes!
    The coldest and windiest part of my property is a corner where it would be nice to have a windbreak/privacy screen. Should I try a serviceberry there? [I work on the principle of "if it dies, don't buy again," and am prepared for a certain amount of attrition. It works for me.]
    Thanks for info!

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

While widespread in the region, on both sides of the Cascade Mountains I don't associate this species with outer coastal conditions. Possibly you are too close to the beach for it.

The currently listed national champion was found near the Columbia River. As with many other western North American native trees and shrubs it has a large range and may even be more prevalent in parts of the interior than on the coast, but reaches its largest size on the Pacific Slope.

http://www.americanforests.org/resources/bigtrees/register.php?details=3356

7. 2annbrow

2annbrow Active Member

oh my - can't take a chance on something growing that big. I have found two varieties that might work out, at an Oregon nursery, but don't know about cross-pollination needs or chances of success here. The varieties are Amelanchier Smokey and Amelanchier laevis Jennybelle. Is anyone growing these two, or either, at home presently?

8. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

'Smokey', 'Regent' etc. are A. alnifolia selections chosen for good fruit etc. A. laevis is an eastern North American species, ordinarily growing much larger than the often shrubby western species. A. alnifolia varies greatly in stature with site conditions, the individual listed by American Forests is the largest specimen known in the US - and probably the world.

Here on Camano Island my friend's multi-acre property has multiple individuals growing natively, usually beneath much taller trees - where they will be reaching for light. Even so, probably few, if any of these are more than 15' tall.

9. 2annbrow

2annbrow Active Member

Thanks, but what about pollination? Do these actually need other individuals for pollination?

10. pinenut

pinenut Active Member 10 Years

Saskatoons grow wild here, but not especially abundantly. Had an interesting discovery two summers ago on the mountain behind us: 4 or 5 plants growing all by themselves on a very exposed south facing slope. My theory is that a bear feasted on them elsewhere and dropped the undigested seed here.
    Carl