Why Pine trees have changed shapes?

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by ariani, Sep 8, 2012.

1. ariani

ariani Active Member 10 Years

Here are two pine trees why they have changed their shapes? The second one I call it snake pine tree.

Attached Files:

2. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

In both cases, there might have been something laying across the branch or seedling, e.g. a fallen log that's now gone, that caused the growth pattern... ?

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

First one top was damaged, causing it to fork. Second one seedling came up with/near another, larger one, grew around it into the sun.

4. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

I agree with abgardeneer. There must have been something obstructing the normal growth of both trees, a fallen log or a branch of another tree, that no longer exists.

By the way, there is no forking in the first tree. What could be mistakingly taken as a branch is in fact a trunk of another tree growing behind. I have also never seen any trees growing around one another into the sun (especially if they grow in enough sun already).

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'd agree with Ron B.

In the first one, a likely cause of the damage was a pine shoot moth killing the lead shoot and then a side branch taking over. But other causes are possible.