Who is Wilson? (or is it whom?)

Discussion in 'Maples' started by spookiejenkins, Nov 10, 2007.

1. spookiejenkins

spookiejenkins Active Member

Hi Y'all,
    I am now trying to dig up info on 'Wilson's Pink Dwarf'. Do any of you friendly maple folks know the origins of this cultivar?

THANKS!!

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

"first selected as a seedling by James Wilson of Peters and Wilson Nursery of Millbrae, California.'', from 2nd and 3rd editions "Japanese Maples''. "Wilson {1980}" , from "Maples of the World".

Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  3. spookiejenkins

Thank you Chimera. I appreciate your help.
    I was hoping someone knew the man, or the nursery, or had some nifty insight about the tree or it's selector. :) The 'six degrees of separation' theory always seems to hold true here, so I thought I would ask.
    THANK YOU!

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

5. spookiejenkins

Cool Michael F. Thanks! Although, I don't think its THAT E.H. Wilson because the 'Wilson's Pink Dwarf' was selected in 1980. The man in the article died in 1930. I wonder if he is a relative?

6. spookiejenkins

I found this info about the nursery - nothing about the cultivar though...

Peters & Wilson Nursery
    11 Rollins Road
    Millbrae, CA 94039
    650-697-5373

Hours: Monday through Saturday 9 am to 5:30 pm
    Sunday 10 am to 4 pm
    Closed Wednesday

The nursery has been around since 1934, owned by the same family since the mid 1950s. They know their customers' taste and choose their plants accordingly, including lots of bareroot and tree roses, camellias, rhododendrons, perennials, and low, compact evergreens in colors from grey-blue to dark green.

Their excellent citrus collection has carefully selected varieties that can flourish in their Bay Area micro-climate, look striking in the garden and still maintain good fruit flavor. They are particularly proud of a variegated pink lemon tree, with yellow fruit that has green stripes and pink fles h, while the multi-colored foliage starts out pink then matures to traditional variegation.

Based upon their customers' buying patterns, they don't carry many native plants, nor do they have a wide selection of organic items in the Garden Shop. A pottery shed has clay, glazed and plastic pots and saucers in all sizes. Their bonsai corner probably has the peninsula's best offering of small bonsai dishes, tools and accesories.

Gardeners who like to eat what they grow are impressed with Peters and Wilson's culinary herbs, vegetable starts including seed potatoes, and many fruit trees. Berry bearing shrubs available at this time of year include several varieties of raspberries, lingonberries, both regular size and dwarf blueberries, and many more.

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Reads like a blurb, presumably this is excerpted from a web site?

8. Ron B

MAPLES FOR GARDENS says it was introduced in 1980, if correct then it was probably selected well before then.

9. spookiejenkins

Hi Ron - Yes, I did a search for the nursery and that post above is the blurb that came up. That's all I could find.

Thank you for the clarification. I was thinking selected in 1980 for some reason. I am unsure about the details of "selection" and "introduction" processes. I know there are many years in between the two. :)

10. Ron B

The main cause for a gap would be the building up of stock between selection and introduction. I suppose theoretically those could occur at the same time, say if the originator decided a seedling was worth introducing and gave budwood to somebody else the same day. Depends on how introduction, in this context, is defined.

11. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi Katie,

Would you be able to add a link to that site where you retrieved the blurb from? At a minimum, I prefer to give credit where credit is due - and it'll help in case anyone has an issue re: copyright of the text.

12. spookiejenkins