white stuff on Christmas palm

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by msfitz, Nov 17, 2013.

1. msfitz

msfitz New Member

I too may have issues with "white stuff". I have a 6 month new Christmas Palm, potted. She did very well outside but had to bring her in for the winter due to dropping temps. here in northern Indiana. Now there's a few issues. There's actually 2 palms in the pot. The larger one about a week after she came had 2 fronds that turned yellow then brown and died. Now the smaller on has 1 almost gone and one started to turn. And it's still happening on the larger one. Good news, I guess is I have new growth on both. Also, the white stuff is on new growth and it is coated on trunk where 2nd frond came off. It feels like sand paper, but when you rub it, it comes off kind of fluffy/flakey??
    This is my first real palm and I am desperate to save her. I thought the original fronds coming off might be transplant and coming inside shock. But now I'm afraid she's dying in front of me and I don't know what to do.
    Anyone with any help, please?

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

3. msfitz

msfitz New Member

Hi thanks for answering. I'll get a couple of pictures, so I can post them. By any chance can you tell me how to add a picture? I am really new at this.

4. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

5. msfitz

msfitz New Member

Got it!! It may take a day or two. Just got power back from a 4 day outage. What a joy. May lose my girl (the palms) anyway because heat has been non-existent for that time and temps outside hovering around 30. Pretty darn cold in here till about 30 minutes ago.
    Thanks new friend, Laurie

6. msfitz

msfitz New Member

Hi again, my phone pictures were pretty much worthless. I talked to a really nice lady, this afternoon, at Ortho/Scotts and have some ideas about an "environmentally" safe i.e. I can use it in the house about a 3 just came out of a 4 day power outage. We had a wicked storm and all I've had for heat was my gas stove. Se heat was erratic at best. I hope that didn't do her in. I'll keep working on what I can and let you know how it turns out.
    Thanks again for answering. You helped with the moral support and I appreciate and needed it.
    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and Christmas for you and yours
    Sincerely and fingers crossed, Laurie