White Ribes

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Angela Rosd, May 4, 2019.

1. Angela Rosd

Angela Rosd New Member

White Ribes planted last year flowered beautifully this year but now is dying back along the branches, there is new growth at ground level. Should I trim back or any ideas on why this is happening.
    I am in the South West of England.

Attached Files:

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Currant borers (Synanthedon tipuliformis or similar species) are the likely cause of dieback of the main canes, along with associated branches. These pests are very common in all regions where species of Ribes are grown. Look for holes in the dead main stems and remove all damaged stems. I see signs of them in my red currant and gooseberry plants, but in my case they only affect the topmost parts of the plants. So, I don't do anything about them except prune off the minor affected parts of the plants. I grow the currants in a somewhat unorthodox manner: training them to a single thick trunk instead of the usual many small canes that are removed after three years. The thick trunk seems to be resistant to borer damage. There are sprays that will control the borers, but I don't know about their availability in England. You should be able to find appropriate information on the Web. I spray my plants with Malathion in spring to control Currant Fruit Flies, and this might have some affect on the borers.

3. Angela Rosd

Angela Rosd New Member

Thank you cannot see holes but have trimmed back and will see how it goes.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Web site of Royal Horticultural Society probably has relevant information. It should be noted that plant asked about is apparently a white flowered cultivar of Ribes sanguineum and not one of the currants grown for fruiting characteristics.

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

That's my mistake, moving it to Fruit and Vegetable Gardening. I'm moving it back to Hort Forum. Thanks, @Ron B.