Identification: White Curls On the Ground, NE KANSAS

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by C.Wick, Sep 2, 2009.

1. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Hiking in a new area for me...I found these little white gilled fungi growing from the ground. Digging a bit some were among very deteriorated pieces of wood/roots? Very light and delicate...resembling swirls of Crepidotus species. No visible stems. No detectible odors.
    At a first glance I thought they resembled the fungi called Nest polypores...but as these are gilled....and not on visible branches....nope.
    The near-by trees were 1 Elm, a few Ash and too many thorny devil trees.
    The spore is a light brown...almost rusty. Found on the 31st...I've yet to get back (will probably do today or tomorrow) to see how they've grown.
    They were on an old driving trail...most were on a hillside next to the actual road.

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      399.3 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      88.4 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      139.1 KB
      Views:
  2. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Looks like a Crepidotus to me. and they can grow on buried wood/roots - but some do grow on the soil. Even your spore print color matches it.

3. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Thanx Rob...I'm thinking so also. For some dumb reason I was thinking the C. had white spore prints. I need to stop drinking so much coffee. lol

4. fish dr

fish dr Active Member

Cudos MycoRob. THis was bugging me and I spent quite a while looking for what they could be, with no luck.

Your take seems to be right on the money!

Congrats.