White Bird of Paradise

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by greenlady, Jun 5, 2006.

1. greenlady

greenlady Member

Hi - I'm new to this site so I apologize if this isn't the right forum. I just bought a white bird of paradise plant and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me why the sides and tips of the leaves are starting to brown? I have it in a bright apartment (but indirect to sunlight), water it when it needs (I have this measuring apparetus), but not sure if I'm feeding it too much/little water. New sprouts are coming up so it's definitely growing. The new leaves are gorgeous with no browning on the sides, but it's the original ones that are. I hear that when you move a plant to a different location, it may brown.

Can anyone help? It's a fairly young plant.

thanks

2. Takana_Hana

Takana_Hana Active Member 10 Years

ive got 7 of these beautiful plants!.. they are probably getting too much light.. bird of paradise like low light

3. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

4. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

I haven't found bird-of-paradise to be low light plants at all in the home. Mine is getting very bright light in a south-west exposure, with some direct sunlight, and seems to be very happy. The older leaves of mine turn brown on the edges, which I trim off with scissors, and eventually cut off. I agree, could be fluorides/chlorine in the water, or central heating?