Where to plant a Chinese windmill tree?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by SuburbanNinja8000, Jan 16, 2011.

1. SuburbanNinja8000

SuburbanNinja8000 Member

Hey, Question where maybe the Best place to Plant a Chinese windmill Tree. Also, How fast do they grow?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2011
  2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

3. SuburbanNinja8000

SuburbanNinja8000 Member

I saw it in my Home town about 3 times now the 4th time I didn't see it. I'll Try it any ways. Thanks.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Not a chance in USDA 5-6. Even here in USDA 8 there can be some damage some years. Have seen 10 degrees F. given as minimum temp., although surely some local specimens of longer vintage have come through worse without dying back.

5. SuburbanNinja8000

SuburbanNinja8000 Member

Am still going to try it even if it fails, Plus I was talking to a Canadian about also. If it fails, am making a Japanese Forested in the back yard.

6. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Go for it! You will have much better luck if you protect it well for the winter. Unprotected, I would agree, not much chance.

7. SuburbanNinja8000

SuburbanNinja8000 Member

Do you know a good place to put it. Am thinking in puting one in the font yard. But in the north south area of the house. Is that a good place?

8. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

I don't have any personal experience with this species, but in terms of 'zone-pushing', you should put it in the warmest part of your yard, and where you can cover it well in the winter. If you put it in the middle of the yard somewhere, make sure it has lots of light, but also, if it gets strong north winds in the winter, that is bad. You will have to cover it well. Snow is a good insulator, but you will need to cover it well before you get enough snow to do a good job. Better might be to plant it right against the house facing south, so it might get some heat from the house and it will be easier to cover in the winter, and it will warm up quicker in the spring.

Good luck!