Where to get scionwood?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by JasmineTea, Sep 3, 2019.

1. JasmineTea

JasmineTea New Member

I'm thinking about grafting plum trees. I wonder if anyone knows if Vancouver host any scionwood exchange events so I can exchange or buy some scionwood?

Also, is there any website online where I can purchase scionwood? If anyone has these information I would be really grateful. Thank you in advance. :)

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I don't know if they deal with individuals but you could check with Summerland Varieties Corp. (SVC). Scionwood for a large number of plum varieties is available.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2019
    JasmineTea likes this.
  3. JasmineTea

JasmineTea New Member

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2019
  4. Junglekeeper

You're welcome. Please let us know the outcome of your inquiry.

5. JasmineTea

JasmineTea New Member

Lol I checked. I think there is a minimum quantity and fee required. Maybe I will try to find a few people to order together. But first I need to learn how to graft.

6. Junglekeeper

7. Zack T.

Zack T. New Member

Hi there,
    I have several plum trees, so I can provide you with some scion wood. Please note, you need to tell me what kind of plum tree you have in order not to give you the same tree scion wood. Moreover, you need a plum which is a good pollinator for your tree. If you don't know which kind of plum you have you will need to graft 2 to 3 different kind of scion wood on your plum in order to make sure you are safe. Please note, this is a very simple task to do - I have done it many times. I even have a small nursery in my backyard, where I mostly graft apples, pears and plums. My email is zack41ca, and I use Gmail.com as my email server. I live near Nanaimo Skytrain.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2021
  8. CowboyOfChaos

CowboyOfChaos New Member

I am taking care of an Italian prune plum (at my house, orange flesh purplish skin) and a green gauge (strathcona community garden). You are welcome to take scions from either, and can give me a shout at douglas.k.james with the server and last half of the address "gmail.com".

Both of these are delicious varieties that do well in Vancouver but the trees are under threat from disease (black knot from poor maintenance before I started taking care of them) and people who want to cut them down. So I'm happy to try to preserve their genetic by giving out cuttings.

9. Bob Dunn

Bob Dunn Active Member

Calgary Fruit Growers These folks exchange scion wood. Check their Facebook page to see if someone would mail a piece.

10. Robert Reynolds

Robert Reynolds New Member

Have you looked at the Scion Exchange Facebook group Canadian Scion and Edible Plant Exchange | Facebook

11. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Them all being in the rose family popular temperate climate orchard fruits are virus susceptible. Same as roses themselves. With antique clones in particular liable to have built up payloads that are carried along from one propagation to the next via cuttage or grafting. So that if any of the aforementioned sources or any others that can be identified as operating in Canada are stating that their stock has been virus indexed and cleaned up as needed starting with material from them would be preferable. Not a rose family plant but for purposes of illustration awhile back productivity of rhubarb where it had long been grown as a commercial crop in sheds in the United Kingdom was noticed to have been falling off. The Agriculture Ministry responded by sampling existing stocks and indexing it; over 30 distinct viruses were found to be present. After these were removed and the resulting clean plants grown on they were something like triple the size of the infested ones. With a proportionate effect on crop yields.