Where to find Lepiota lutea source ?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by pickingoutathermos, Apr 20, 2010.

1. pickingoutathermos

pickingoutathermos Member

Hello, contrary to most questions about this mushroom I'm looking to find it to add to my indoor (non-enclosed) plant display. I was wondering where or how I could go about finding this mushroom in the Vancouver / Lower Mainland area?

Are there other varieties of mushroom that would be suitable for living in a plant pot ?
    I'm interested in this mushroom because it grows easily in soil and is brightly coloured.

I've asked this question on a different forum here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. pickingoutathermos

pickingoutathermos Member

3. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

As far as I know it is not a fungus native to B.C. and I've only seen it turn up in flowerpots.
    If someone in this forum happens to have one growing in their plantpot, perhaps they would share it with you?
    You could also contact the Vancouver Mycological Society, to put word out to the members to ask if anyone has L. lutea in a pot that they are willing to share, and perhaps an indoor gardening association?

As far as other fungi suitable for living in a plant pot, you could obtain spawn from one of the local sources (eg. Western Biologicals, Backyard Bounty collective) or learn how to grow fungi yourself from them or from various books on the topic of growing mushrooms. For a plant pot, if filled only with soil, you would be looking for fungi that grow in soil, as opposed to wood decay or mycorrhizal fungi.

cheers,
    frog

4. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

I would actually call around to various plant nurseries in your area, and at the right season, I think you'd have some luck. Call it the 'yellow mushroom that grows in flower pots'. Is Lepiota lutea the updated name? Can I stop calling it Leucoagaricus birnbaumii - Please?

5. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I think it is probably still L. birnbaumii, I'm just stubbornly using Lepiota lutea as I find it a more meaningful name <grin>

frog