British Columbia: Where to buy hazelnut trees

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Grant Gussie, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Grant Gussie

Grant Gussie Active Member

Every nursery seems to have ornamental Corylus varieties, but I can't find anyone with nut producing varieties like barcelona or ennis. They seemed to be common-place in nursery stocks last year (2008) but this spring, nothing.

Does anyone know of a lower mainland, Vancouver Island nursery with nut-producing hazelnuts?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Re: Where to buy hazelnut trees (British Columbia)

Normally a standard item, try asking why they don't have any this year. Maybe they are just late being sent out and will appear later.

3. Grant Gussie

One nursery manager has said their normal supplier is not supplying because of Eastern Filbert Blight concerns. I know you can't ship eastern trees to the west coast for this reason. But surely someone has some?

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I wondered if it might be that. If you can eventually get a few of the new blight resistant varieties developed by Oregon State University or others found to be blight resistant (maybe the two you mentioned are and that is why you are looking for them) you might want to plant those anyway. Presumably you will be able to get plants again there as surely there is too much interest for the supply to remained curtailed indefinitely.

Web site of Burnt Ridge Nursery, Onalaska, WA has information about blight resistance of various kinds on the market.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  5. Grant Gussie

The lack of nut-cropping hazelnuts does seem to be do to a shutdown of the supply due to eastern filbert blight... although no one can explain why the supply of ornamental varieties is unaffected. I finally found some from Mission Hill Farms, near Courtenay (250-338-4077)

6. galiano

galiano Active Member

In the past I have bought hazlenut trees at Le Couteau Nursery on Walton Place in Central Saanich. I just had a look at their website http://www.lecoteau.com/ and their list doesn't seem to show hazlenuts this year. I still think they will have them so maybe give them a call. Their prices are very reasonable too.

7. Grant Gussie

Le coteau is a great place for food trees of all kinds, and my favorite nursery, but they say they have had hazelnuts on order for more than a year, and they dont know when or if any are being shipped to them this year. They have none in stock.

8. Michael Everio

Michael Everio Member

Hi everyone, I am Michael Everio. I and my friends (Chris Freville,Amber Sharman) are also interested in hazelnut trees since 10th April 2002. I totally agree with you grant gussie. le coteau is a great for this kind of stuff. Luckily, we could find from them..

9. cuttripe

cuttripe Member

Hello Grant!
    I've been researching and propagating heritage hazelnut shrubs in Courtenay for 15 years and have a good supply of stock of the variety Trazel. It is a cross developed in the early 1920's. It is the ancient Turkish Hazel X English hazel (Barcelona). It is blight resistant and very hardy. Has large elongated nuts. The mother trees on this property are over 50 years old. There are only 10 groupings left and I get between 150 and 300 lbs per year. Contact me at cuttripe@yahoo.ca.

Have a good day,

-Gail Kelly Meade

10. ThomODell

ThomODell Member

I know that this thread is a bit dated. But it did come up when I googled BC hazelnut trees. So I thought I'd follow up in case there is still interest.
    Nature Tech Nursery of Langley is now producing 6 new (highly blight resistant) varieties of hazelnut trees for nut production. For pricing and availability contact me at
    thom.odell[at]gmail.com
    I will gladly provide more information on this topic if there is interest.

11. Sylvia Mosterman

Sylvia Mosterman New Member

Hello Everyone,
    You should be able to get Eastern Filbert Blight Resistant Hazelnuts from trusted local garden centres this spring (2020). Mosterman Plants in Chilliwack is a licensed wholesale propagator for the best and latest of the Oregon State University breeding, and has supplied these for the retail market. Wholesale customers can contact us directly at mostplantsinc@shaw.ca
    The Filbert, or Hazelnut, industry is returning to British Columbia and we are happy to support this healthy food.