Where can I planting live potted christmas fir tree - Vancouver area?

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by citybalcony, Jan 31, 2013.

1. citybalcony

citybalcony New Member

We are city dwellers in downtown Vancouver and spirited a little live potted 2 foot tall fir tree (bought at local organic grocer) into our condo for christmas. It was kept indoors a minimal length of time, is healthy and now sits out on our balcony awaiting planting. The trouble is, we know no one with acreage or a large lot in the Vancouver area on which to plant it. I understand that crown land may be an option but I want to do this quickly and without the trouble of permits etc. Can anyone suggest places that are road accessible (and easy digging!) in the lower Mainland that I could drive to and plant my little "nod to ecology and sustainability" which would be acceptable to the locals/authorities?

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Can you post a photo of it? Finding out what type it is will have a major bearing on where would be suitable to plant it.

3. citybalcony

citybalcony New Member

Here is a photo of it sitting outside on our balcony awaiting its forever home as requested. I believe it is a Douglas Fir? Hope someone can give us an idea or two!

IMG_0309.jpg

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

It's a spruce, I'm thinking it looks most like a Sitka Spruce. So yes, out in a near-wilderness area would be good. Somewhere that isn't infested by deer or lawnmowers, and with space for what will ultimately be a very large tree.