When will roses start showing?

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by Budja, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Budja

Budja Active Member

When will roses here in Vancouver start to show buds? or should they already be showing. I noticed on some there are leaves already coming out. On others, nothing. I hope they aren't dead.

2. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

It's been a cold hard winter in Vancouver. A number of my roses has suffered cold damage, with cane deaths. All the viable roses are opening young leaf buds at this point. I suspect that those canes which are not showing these signs of life are wintered killed. Even if the are signs of new leaf at the ends of the canes, it does not mean those have survived, as sections more proximal to the roots may be dead, and leaves are emerging distal to this drawing the the limited reserves in the canes. I have been pruning canes back until I see healthy stems. Cold damaged canes, when pruned, show a yellowish, brownish, tobacco stain discoloration and have a squishy feeling when the secateurs slice into them. Healthy canes show green barks and have the fresh colour of green apple flesh. They feel crispy when pruned.

3. Budja

Budja Active Member

Are the ones not showing buds, dead?