When to transplant A.s.'Aureum'

Discussion in 'Maples' started by LuvsGreen, Mar 11, 2008.

  1. LuvsGreen

    LuvsGreen Member

    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Western Illinois
    I planted this lovely little tree in the wrong place last year. It did quite well until we hit high summer when I realized that it wasn't getting enough shade from the afternoon sun. I ended up using emergency measures to shade the little guy when the leaves started to burn but now think it would be prudent to move him to a better location. I have the location picked out but need to work the area some before I can dig (remove stone mulch and weed barrier--I really dislike stone mulch used extensively on our property but that's another story). Should I try to move him while he's still dormant or wait until he's leafed out?

    I'm in zone 5b (or perhaps been moved up to 6?). We've had a cold winter and the buds have not swelled much as yet but they're there (thank goodness!).

    Thanks for taking time to advise.
    Traudi
     
  2. nelran

    nelran Active Member

    Messages:
    322
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Zone 8 - Houston, TX USA
    I you need to transplant, do it know when is still dormant, in order to adapt to the new location before he requires a lot of energy to bud breaking and leafing out. Try don't disturb the root ball.
    I got my little one last year, but mine is still in pot. However, due its travel and the change to a warmest zone, it leafed out last december. Now is almost full of leaves (and continues sprouting) and is doing very well. See the thread: http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=34039
     
  3. whis4ey

    whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

    Messages:
    1,011
    Likes Received:
    11
    Location:
    Northern Ireland
    dormant dormant dormant
     
  4. paxi

    paxi Active Member

    Messages:
    389
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    St. Louis
    Just be sure the ground isn't still frozen! I live in st. louis (also 5b). Things seemed fine last weekend until I got deeper then ran into problem. Hoping that I didn't disturb the root ball. Might just want try out a test patch first.
     
  5. alex66

    alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

    Messages:
    2,058
    Likes Received:
    166
    Location:
    ROME Italy zone9/b
    yes ,when soil is not frezee!before of the open buds...
     
  6. LuvsGreen

    LuvsGreen Member

    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Western Illinois
    Thanks. I'll start moving those darn rocks. Paxi I'm north of you about 100+ miles and our ground is still frozen so I know I'll have to wait but getting this guy moved while dormant will be a priority. So many things to do in the next 2 months but it will be a pleasure to get out again!
     
  7. whis4ey

    whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

    Messages:
    1,011
    Likes Received:
    11
    Location:
    Northern Ireland
    Now THAT is one of the joys of gardening .......
     
  8. LuvsGreen

    LuvsGreen Member

    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Western Illinois
    Whis4ey....Hahaha....how true.

    Well it was a beautiful spring day here today, just right for moving some of the **&(##$$ rock mulch. I at least was able to make a bed for my transplant as well as a cedar conifer I think might do well in this spot. I haven't moved any plants yet but at least I have a place ready for them. This spot didn't have any frozen ground...it's a well protected corner...so I'm feeling good that it's done and I can proceed with the transplant any time. I'll eventually move all the rock mulch out of this area, replace the rock with wood mulch, and hopefully plant some more Japanese maples and perhaps a conifer or two.

    I love planting and tending to my plants...just love it!!
    Traudi
     

Share This Page