when to move a 'smallish in size' wisteria.

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by maddar, Feb 25, 2008.

1. maddar

maddar Member

Well the title of this thread pretty much sums it up. Thanks for any help!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Get on it, budding out time is fast approaching.

3. maddar

maddar Member

Thanks for the reply! I will be out there tomorrow morning as soon as possible to start the dig. I know a wisteria's root structure consists of a few tap roots as well as clumps of smaller vine roots. My worry is that I will break the tap roots off too much for it to recover. Fingers are crossed. Thanks again, I wasn't sure if the spring would be the right time given some plants are "fall mover's" but now I know so tomorrow morning it is!!!!

4. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I moved one rather hastily some years ago. It rooted like it wasn't even touched and the remaining roots from the original site have sent new plants every year. Round-Up works for the season, but each year new plantlets start again. They are a weed.

Cheers, LPN.

5. maddar

maddar Member

Weed you say! I have heard these very words spoken by a gardener I admire. Sigh...I suppose if it re-roots that well, then I suppose it could be called a weed, but a very pretty one indeed. I did move mine and it looks fine thus far. Time will tell if my weed grows and if more spring up where it once was. I still can't bring myself to calling it a weed.....yet!