When to Divide Pampas Grass?

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by Eric La Fountaine, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

The following was received via email:

We moved to Georgia 2 years ago. The first year the pampas grass was lovely, last year there were many yellow leaves at the bottom of the plant, this year I had the yard man prune it way down and it grew back still with many dry, dead leaves in the center and all around. Should the plant be divided (I watched the neighbor's yard man divide the plant into many pieces and replant it, and now the plant is beautiful). If divided, how deep should you dig, how do you divide and how do you replant?

2. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

The new canes of a clump of pampas grass tend to emerge around the perimeter of the clump. Over the years, as the clump matures and grows in size, the center dies off, so that you are left with a ring of green leaves with a center core of dead and decaying material. If that's the case, consider dividing it in the spring. Dividing an established clump of pampas is by no means easy. The matted rhizomes are tough to split. Be prepared to go in with a sharp machette. Or, in my case, a Tiger Saw armed with an old pruning blade! Don't attempt the job when the clump are fully leaved out - if you haven't already noticed, the sharply serrated margins of the leaves could prove to be painful!

My understanding is also that pampas is not salt tolerant. If the clump is in any situation where there might be a build up of salt - too near a path, driveway or road that gets gritted and salted in winter for example - you will need to amend to soil. To do this, it would still be better to dig it up, divide it and amend the soil before replanting.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I've seen Pampas Grass growing freely round the edges of a brackish seaside pool, so it will tolerate at least some salt.

Another way to deal with it is to set fire to it in late winter shortly before new growth commences. Like other prairie grasses, it is naturally adapted to survive regular grass fires, and the fire clears out all the old dead stuff in the centre, allowing it to regenerate well. Obviously, don't do this if it is close to the house or other valuable plants!

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Some seem to go bald in the center and others not, for whatever reason. Wear protective gear, as edges of leaves really are almost like razor blades. Attack when new leaf growth becomes vigorous, in spring.

5. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

Be careful with the fire - that's not an option in our municipality (Greater Vancouver Regional District) - it's illegal to set backyard fires unless it is contained in our barbecues!

6. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years