When to bring potted plants indoors in zone 9

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by marylou830, Nov 5, 2007.

1. marylou830

marylou830 Active Member

Hello, I believe I live in zone 9, southeast Georgia. Right now, the temp is dropping to the lower 40s at night, but is in the 70's during the day. Should I have my plants indoors yet? I haven't seen any frost on the grass outside yet, and I'm usually up very early, when it's still dark out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, I have a clematis that I planted in the ground. Am I supposed to cut it off? The leaves are still very pretty and green.

2. toutlan

toutlan Active Member

you are most likey in zone 8, i am in 9 in orlando. it depends on the plant and how hardy it is.most plants are ok in upper 40s, but it still depends on the specific plant.by the way hope yall get some rain soon

3. Ottawa-Zone5

Ottawa-Zone5 Active Member

As far as the clematis is concerned, you have to know which of the three categories of the clematis it is as far as pruning is concerned.
    Spring blooming clematis grow bloom on prvious year's shoots, so they can be pruned right after blooming. The other two groups grow bloom on current year shoots. The ones producing bloom in early summer to mid summer can be pruned in spring to a height of upto 5 ft above the ground to healthy leaf buds, and the the other type produicing bloom in late summer or early fall can be pruned in spring to a height of 1 ft above the ground to a few healthy leaf buds.
    So you have to know your clematis to properly prune it. If you do not know what type your clematius is then leave it without cutting this year and just do maintenance pruing in the spring by removing dead shoots and watch which type of cleamatis it is and then do pruning accordingly in the subsequent years.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  4. marylou830

marylou830 Active Member

Okay, thanks. it's a summer/fall-blooming, so I'll trim it in the spring. That's good info. Also, thanks to toutlan for the info and the rain wishes. Thankfuly, my area isn't suffering from drought.