What's wrong with my Fireglow?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Jennee5, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Jennee5

Jennee5 Member

I purchased a Fireglow Japanese Maple (Spring 2004). It was a beautiful sharp red all summer long. During June, I noticed beetles where a problem. Someone recommended I spray it with SEVIN. That took care of the beetles eating all the leaves. But now this month Sept. it began to loose all of its leaves. It is not even cool here yet. All of the other japanese maples on the block are full of leaves. Is this because maybe they are another type of Japanese maples? Or is this a normal thing with Fireglow Maples? What am I doing wrong?? Please HELP!!

Jennee

2. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

Why? No telling from here

I think the number one reason that recently planted Japanese Maples go into decline is because they were planted too deeply or the grade has changed and the roots are therefore too deep. This may not be the reason for your maple's woes but please consider the following.

Check the planting depth
    All too often people plant their Japanese Maples too deep. Check and be sure that the top most roots, coming off of the trunk (the crown), is not covered with more than about 1/4 inch of soil. If it is too deep replant it higher. If drainage is not good in this location replant it higher.

Planting Maple
    Dig a wide, shallow planting hole. Do not ammend the soil, use indigenous soil. Gently remove tree from container and lightly dirsrupt the roots that were in contact with the pot, comb them with your fingers. Make sure that there are no roots circling, if so rearrange them so that they do not continue circling. Firm soil in center of planting hole and place tree on top. Plant at same level or even a little high. Fill hole with indigenous soil. Do not cover the uppermost roots with more than about a quarter inch of soil. Form a watering basin a foot or so around tree. Gently water, thoroughly, until water pools up and almost goes over your watering basin. Let water soak in. Repeat the watering step, over and over again. When you think that it has been thoroughly watered, re-adjust your soil surface around your tree, smooth it out and add more if needed. Repeat this a few times. When you and your tree are satisfied, mulch entire planting area with about 3" of mulch (I prefer pine straw) keeping the mulch about 3" from trunk of tree. Water again thoroughly. As far as fertilizer goes, hold off the first year but if you feel you must I would suggest something mild and organic like Espoma. You will never make much money planting this way commercially but you will have a well planted tree.