What's This Plant Doing?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by constantgardener, Apr 12, 2008.

1. constantgardener

constantgardener Active Member 10 Years

I've had this Senecio cylindricus "Silver Coral" for about 9 months. It's started changing it's habit and I'm wondering why. Originally it was a mound of upward projecting, rounded finger-like projections, now most of that foliage has been absorbed and it's put out recumbent, flattened blade-like leaves attached to a central stem. The foliage still has the same coating giving the silvery color, but now the covering doesn't crack off and the foliage feels super soft. Is this because it's going to flower (haven't seen other senecios change form to flower); any clues about what's happening? Here's a picture of the changeling and a pic of a new, little plant showing the original form. Many thanks for any ideas!

Attached Files:

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

It's matured. You might want to hang that basket, because it's gonna droop.

3. constantgardener

constantgardener Active Member 10 Years

Lorax, you mean the plant will start growing down, now? It hasn't flowered; will it come up with more of the "finger" growth? I much prefer that form. Guess it's like kittens...you take them home, then they start laying on the chair behind you, pushing you off (like mine is doing now!) Thanks for the info!

4. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

Its probably getting ready to flower.

It looks like a form of Senecio scaposus.