What's the weather like ?...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Mani

Mani Active Member

A cool 50 degrees C here!

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Mani, Wow !!! Not long until this weather breaks Mani or your thermometer does!!!. Keep looking for the clouds but nothing yet.
    Emery is suffering in France aswell just seen. He has had it worse and longer.
    Fingers crossed for this evening !! for all of our trees.

3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Nope. When I took my car this afternoon to go and buy some new windscreen wipers (see the irony of it), I noticed that there were spots of rain in the dust covering the windscreen/windshield, that's all. This afternoon, after leaving the swimming-pool - yes, I now spend at least two afternoons there, must tell my doctor whenever I see him again, a few drops of rain for a couple of minutes, and when it stoopped, one minute later the soil was dry.

I had a look at the stats on the website I mentioned before and for Aug. 1st to 12th, 0.4 mm of rain. That means the total of precipitation for 43 days amount to the... fabulous level of 2.4 mm in 43 days. Can you imagine ?...

The Loire now looks more like a sandbox than a river.

4. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

It rained! We got 28mm in about 45 minutes. Since the soil is rock hard a lot rolled off down the hill, but still a nice wetting. I disconnected the routers etc as heard it coming, but -- I suppose fortunately -- the center of the storm really missed us.

Please suh, can I have some more? Radar is clear for the mo. And the temperature dropped like a rock, currently a very pleasant 18C.

5. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

At last! Rain!

emery likes this.
  6. Acerholic

18° heaven!!!!!!

emery likes this.
  7. AlainK

There's a saying : "Un bon binage vaut deux arrosages".

I leave it up to you to translate, my Normand friend ;0)

8. AlainK

1:35, rolling thunder, like in the mountains, lots of lightnings and at last, rain !

It's been raining for 20 minutes now, heavy drops falling vertically. Funnily, there's no wind. I opened all the windows.

2:00, more lightnings and thunder, the storm is moving away but it's still raining.

I love the sound of the rain and the smell too...

It reminds me when I was a 5-6 year-old kid, in Massif Central. After a storm, we would take a stick to seach into the nettles, put on our raincoats and look for snails that my Mum and Dad would prepare with garlic butter and parsley ^_^

I can't think of any song about snails, but there's one about "pissenlits", dandelions. It's about the same kind of "trip" : we would go and harvest dandelions (young ones, almost white) in the fields, then eat them in a salad with hard-boiled eggs and bacon bits. Hmmmm......

PS: Ricet Barrier was a Swiss, the way he sounds his "r"s are typical, although Georges Brassens, from the Mediterranean coast also had this similar rolling "r" I love so much. Very different from the Spanish or Italian "r" which is articulated in the front of the mouth, this one comes from the throat. Also very different from the "r" of the French "received pronunciation". Our new Prime Minister has a strong accent from the south-west, but his "r"s are not "rolled".

(It's impossible to enjoy the beauty of the language, the poetic imagery if you don't understand French...)

dicky5ash and Acerholic like this.
  9. Acerholic

@AlainK, so pleased you have rain at last, it didn't materialise here in Southern England. Still so humid.
    I agree with you that rain, especially in Summer has a smell like nothing else. It's funny how it brought your mind back to when you were 5 -6 year old. Our senses do invoke strong reactions and memories to childhood.
    Enjoyed the videos even though I speak no French. The second had subtitles so was easy to follow.

Hopefully more rain for you today Alain and a little for us here in England and elsewhere that needs it.

10. Acerholic

Headlines today that the UK has just had its longest and hottest spell of weather since 1961. Anyone here who remembers that as I do, probably remembers the really cold winter of 63 with heavy snow even in the South of England. If patterns are to be believed, watch out in 2023.

11. Acerholic

It's here......

AlainK likes this.
  12. Acerholic

Now biblical, so very heavy, given up singing and dancing in the rain. Where's the Summer gone!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  13. Mani

Mani Active Member

@Acerholic You must have sent it this way! First rumble of thunder here!

14. Acerholic

@Mani, hope you get some of the wet stuff as well Mani. It smells so nice. I have happy trees now!!! As the great Bob Ross would say.

Mani likes this.
  15. Nik

Nik Generous Contributor

Many thunderstorms around, but sadly not a drop of rain here.
    Tropical storm/ hurricane season seems to be much more active than usual.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

@Nik, and here's us complaining about a bit of wind and no rain. You have Hurricanes to be concerned with. Promise 'no complaints' anymore.
    Stay safe N.

17. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor Maple Society

we had 80mm today :) :)

emery likes this.
  18. Acerholic

@dicky5ash, wow R, but so needed. Bet the jungle was looking happy!!!

19. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor Maple Society

20. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Margot l'escargot? Surely there was a song there somewhere. Anyway I love the salad you describe, except with poached eggs, nice runny yolks. Our friend used to make this for us. Yum (Miam)!

Glad you got some rain @AlainK , it missed us on all sides again today, plenty of thunder and humidity, but only a drop or two. :( Maybe tomorrow. Walked the dogs this afternoon, already dry.

@dicky5ash 80mm! That's the stuff, fantastic.

21. Acerholic

Rain all night here, quite heavy and water tanks already full, which is good. No thunder but it's forecast most of today. Looking at the long range forecast it seems that the heat is over for August. Hoping for a little recovery for my maples.

22. Acerholic

Well at last the perfect weather for my maples today. Little bit of rain, overcast, temperature not expected to be over 22°C for the next 10 days. I hope the forecast is right !!! But that looks like Summer is over, here in the UK. We will see!!

23. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I think it was @AlainK who described the snail salad, not me. I'd enjoy the dandelions, eggs and bacon but not so much the snails.

That you know how to pronounce my name as rhyming with l'escargot however is enough for me to consider you a life-long friend. Canada may be a bilingual nation but few people know how to pronounce French names - outside of Quebec at least.

Here on the southwest coast of BC, the forecast is for 'the hottest weekend of the summer'. We're bracing ourselves for temperatures that may exceed 30C!!! What pansies we are! I told my husband that, as long as the breeze is cool, I won't complain but, if it gets to that point, we can always hunker down in the semi-air-conditioned house.

Otherwise, this has been the most fabulous summer that I can remember in my many decades living in this part of the world. The temperatures have been moderate with regular precipitation. Even now, there are few signs in my garden that Autumn is around the corner. It can wait - this upcoming Autumn and Winter may be the most terrible any of us will remember unless we can get a handle on COVID-19.

24. Acerholic

I just read this article and if true then there really is no escape other than trying to slow down the inevitable. The hot Summers we are experiencing are having a far more serious effect than just some scorching to our maples.
    Canada and Germany were both mentioned for varying reasons.

Greenland's ice has melted beyond return, study suggests

Quite sobering!!!!

Mani likes this.
  25. Mani

Mani Active Member

This is why I say action has to happen now not tomorrow.....50 years is no time at all in the grand scheme of things plus they may have got it wrong and things may deteriorate more rapidly......

emery, AlainK and Acerholic like this.