What's the weather like ?...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Keith Elliott

Keith Elliott Contributor

As for the weather this morning, it's already 21.7º, much too high for an overnight temperature. High today 37º, Sunday 39º, which is a trace lower than before.

But this morning when I first went outside at 4 a.m. I immediately smelled smoke. The distant hills are enshrouded in a light smoke, which suggests that we are in this for awhile.

I will need to get as much of the gardening done as possible before the rising heat from the sun (no clouds here) compounds the problem.

I was going to try and amuse you with a photo of the moon, but for the life of me I cannot get the Maria to show up, just a big white blob.

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

On my thermometer, I see it's 23C outdoors, 25.5C indoors. Forecast is for 34C, a bit hotter than yesterday.

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

That is just too hot for anybody to do gardening in. Time to just sit and watch the plants with a cool one in hand Keith.

Lisa Harry likes this.
  4. Acerholic

I expect your husband won't be playing a few holes in this heart Margot ?
    How long is it forecast for ?

D

5. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

will see what tomorrow's 25˚ forecast will bring but at the moment and for today...
    the closest city to us has 45˚ forecast for tomorrow
    06.26.21 05.31.34 AM.jpg

6. Acerholic

Perfect for maples G.

7. Margot

Until at least Tuesday.
    From the Weather Network:
    Remarks: An exceptionally strong ridge of high pressure will develop over British Columbia likely resulting in record breaking temperatures. The duration of this heat wave is concerning as there is little relief at night with elevated overnight temperatures. This record-breaking heat event will increase the potential for heat-related illnesses.

Keith Elliott likes this.
  8. Keith Elliott

The other one that I like from the weather network is the heat dome as it moves over B.C. It's actually frightening when you think about it. I hope we don't get any thunderstorms, that will be disastrous.

9. Keith Elliott

Didn't get this photo until just after 7 a.m. here. That nasty brown air near the mountains is caused by smoke. If we get a breeze the smoke will slowly move on, but at the risk of increasing the fires. If we get no breeze, the opposite happens. You should just be able to see the moon slightly to the right of centre.

IMG_5869.JPG

maf and Acerholic like this.
  10. Acerholic

Just been reading your weather predictions, not very nice for the future according to the scientists.

11. Acerholic

Very worrying times Keith.

12. Keith Elliott

Yes, that's for sure. This big heat dome usually resides much further south, like Texas for example. However, it is known to encroach up this way from time to time, but all the talking heads on TV are saying that this is unprecedented.

13. Margot

British Columbia broke 54 heat records yesterday in various parts of the province and I'm sure more will follow in the days to come.

As far as I can tell, the highest temp, 43.2C, was in Lytton - always hot but not that hot.

The largest city, Vancouver, got up to a record 32.2C where by comparison, the average June temperature is 14.7C.

Keith Elliott and Lisa Harry like this.
  14. Acerholic

Thought I would pipe in with the weather here in Central Southern England. It's 18° c and raining. Thunderstorms forecast for later, so a normal English Summer. Just read that London had tornadoes yesterday. 'Bizzare'.
    My thoughts though go out to all forum friends in BC. It must be unbearable.

Margot and Lisa Harry like this.
  15. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

So :

We've had a lot of rain here for the past 10 days. It rains every day, it rained until 12 today, then there was a rather sunny sky, but we've just had a shower of heavy rain that lasted about 15 minutes. We've lost about 10° during the day compared to last week, it was about 21 this afternoon. Very good weather conditions for maples... So far !

I was checking the news on various sites and saw that :
    US heatwave: Pacific Northwest sees record temperatures

I'm afraid that on either sides of the American-Canadian border there will be more trouble this year, I remember the terrible pictures of large-scale fires in N-W America. Fingers crossed, Lisa, and our friends in BC and NW US...

16. Margot

Your concern is appreciated. The possibilities of forest fires are very real and very frightening.

Curious that the BBC article made no mention of Canada (a Commonwealth country) in their article. Is it perhaps because Harry lives in the US now?

17. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Er...
    (huh huh huh...)

The first part of your message is exactly what came to my mind. We've all seen videos of these fires that burn for weeks, or even months, both in Canada or the NW states of the USA. I was appalled, the areas destroyed were the size of a "département", and the consquences on the people were tragic. Losing our environment is losing lives too.

I used to have dreams of being a grandfather, I understand more and more why none of my kids want children. I sill have hope, or illusions. About the weather.

18. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Well it reached 40c on my deck today and at 9pm its 30C… I cannot stress enough how beneficial I feel the shade cloth 40% UV reduction has benefited my younger trees during our heat wave. As well my mister has also IMO proved to be invaluable, with my light breeze it carry’s and covers all the covered trees. So far all my trees except for my JM Waterfall which is in recovery are still doing well with virtually no leaf scorch. I water them well in the morning, mist them in the evening and any pot bound or excessive sun exposed trees water a little in the evening as well. So far so good. Two more days of the intense crazy heat for us and then hopefully it lightens up but apparently it will get worse tomorrow before it gets better. Good luck everyone with our weather conditions be it rain or sun

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  19. Keith Elliott

24.3º as I write at 4:40 a.m. Expected high today 43º, tomorrow 44º. I wish it was only going to be that high here! Heading outside while its' cool to do the morning watering chores. Drip systems for the greenhouse and raised beds next year for sure! Several new all time high records set in B.C. already. More to say later.

Acerholic likes this.
  20. Acerholic

An excellent reccomendation Lisa, something for all maple lovers to consider for future years.

Lisa Harry likes this.
  21. Acerholic

Just read this from Margot.
    A town in Lytton, BC just broke the Canadian hottest temperature record at 46.1 (or more . . . the day's not over). This is not a record to to celebrate breaking. If only we could take it to the Olympics!
    Lytton, B.C. just broke the record for hottest temperature ever recorded in Canada
    I don't know how you are all coping there atm Keith. Must be quite unbearable, but I'm glad you are already thinking about next years watering. Plan ahead is always best.

D

Margot, Keith Elliott and Lisa Harry like this.
  22. Keith Elliott

Well, it's warm, that's for sure.

Just got an email from Val (She's down at the coast for the moment helping one of the kids move) and apparently we have five of those bamboo blinds...who knew?

It strikes me that one of them will make a nice shade on the east deck.

Yes, it was so hot here yesterday that I dare not post a photo of my La Crosse weather station, nobody would believe it. We'll see what it hits today.

As for the olympics, there was a report on the weather network a few weeks ago about the events which are typically scheduled in the heat of the day. There is serious concern for the safety of the athletes at these elevated temperatures.

Trying to get a hop plant in the ground before I get roasted out of the garden!

Margot, Acerholic and Lisa Harry like this.
  23. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Oh Keith nothing kills a Hops plant. I’ve ripped mine out 3x in the last 3 years it keeps growing back. The root ball is under a retaining wall so I can only dig it out so much and cut it.

Acerholic and Keith Elliott like this.
  24. Keith Elliott

Well Lisa, that's what a hop plant does. You cut it right back to ground level every year, and next year it grows even bigger. After I get this little guy in the ground, and get the arbour addition made, I'll take a photo to show you how we hope it will add shade to the deck. Might take me a few hours in this heat. Work a few minutes at a time, take a break, rinse and repeat.

Lisa Harry likes this.
  25. Keith Elliott

Got the hop plant in the ground yesterday, but it took me longer than anticipated to make the "ladder" for the little guy to climb up. Got that attached this morning so we're ready to go!

IMG_5915.JPG IMG_5916.JPG

I'm reasonably sure the plant will be OK, but what worries me now is all this smoke that is appearing from both ends of the lake. First pic I took before heading down to water the greenhouse plants. Second one after I came back up and then checked east, that's all fresh smoke. Still not that warm yet, 26.6º outside, but 29.0º inside! There's every chance that both today and tomorrow will see new all time high temperature records here in B.C.

IMG_5914.JPG IMG_5938.JPG

Lisa Harry and Acerholic like this.