What's the weather like ?...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 28, 2020.

1. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Sat here with the fire on feet up and on my fourth crossword for today and i am not moving for any one or any thing !!!! It's windy and it's still raining even now for the past three days solid, and to cap everything else off the temps are certainly getting cooler for sure. Could do with buying a wet suit and flippers if this weather carries on any more, every where in the garden is just saturated never known weather this bad or weird ?

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@ROEBUK just saw the forecast M, its going to get drier and warmer next week. But who knows!!! As you say just 'so weired'. But it maybe the norm everywhere from now on.
    But as I watch the Tour de France on the TV, there appears some rain for Alain and Emery at last. So there is a bright side to all this.

3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

"some rain for Alain" :

It did rain in the past three days and that will continue until Monday. But only light showers of rain that doesn't wet the soil under the trees, just 2-3 mm each day at most.

Today, it felt like what I won't call an Indian summer, but it reminded me of some of my summer trips to Britain : cloudy with patches of sun, somewat windy, short showers of rain. I could also call it a "Breton" weather. Actually, I quite like it as long as it doesn't pour for days. My son who works outside agrees : like me, he can't stand the heat. When the weather was so hot, he would come home knackered and could't do much except trying to recover. He's seriously thinking of emigrating to... Northern Ireland ! He went there twice when his brother worked in Belfast, he just loved the place and the people. From one extreme to another ^^ (I didn't mention the Brexit, didn't want to spoil his dream...)

Tomorrow, a bit rainy, 9-20°, Monday about the same, 10-21°, then no rain from Tuesday (8-23°), etc. Friday : sunny, 12-28°. This will be a pre-Indian summer...

dicky5ash likes this.
  4. Acerholic

@AlainK good evening Alain so pleased you have some rain at last. Regarding Northern Ireland and your son, I couldn't agree more, wonderful place!!
    Get him to have a look at this, BBC One - Gardening Together with Diarmuid Gavin, Series 1, Episode 1
    I am sure Brexit won't make any difference, it has already happened on 31st January 2020 and I see no difference in moving from another country to GB, at the moment at least. They say it will be a point system to enter, as in Australia.
    I think the heat is going to be something that has to be lived with looking at scientific studies for the future. My wife said only today "perhaps we should have had a Mediterranean garden" !!

Does make you think !!!

Yes it does look like its going to be an Indian Summer, so the Autumn colours might look good this year, let's hope so.

AlainK likes this.
  5. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I wouldn't ! I like a place with a real winter, with some snow, spring with flowering cherries, asummer that's not too hot, or when it is with enough rain to have lush vegetation, and Autumns with fog in the morning and sun in the afternoon to enhance the colours of the leaves before they fall.

Like :

zfrittz, Nik and Acerholic like this.
  6. Acerholic

@AlainK totally agree Alain, there is something about each season that is so very special. I find I am always ready for the next season to start.
    Loved your words Alain and the song. Sums it all up beautifully!!!

7. Acerholic

Sooo cold here this morning. OK it's not that cold, but really feels like it. A very Autumnal feel in my garden first thing.
    Lovely blue sky as the sun rose, so no complaints.

8. Mani

Mani Active Member

Yesterday felt sooo cold too! Goodbye summer!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    monicasanchez likes this.
  9. Acerholic

@Mani, an Indian Summer starts next weekend apparently, fingers crossed!!!!
    I think this is the coldest Summer bank Holiday weekend ever I think !!
    What a year !!!

10. monicasanchez

monicasanchez Active Member Maple Society

Mallorca, Spain (38ºC maximum/-2ºC minimum)
    Hello, hello.

I am new to this thread. We are ending the month of August and that is already beginning to show in the weather as well.

Yesterday there were storms, locally strong and windy, in the north of Mallorca. In my area, southern end of the island, we had cloudy skies, some wind and little rain.

But the weather has cooled!

Last night was the first night we were able to sleep without having the air conditioning running.

Now yes, it seems that we are entering what here we call 'second spring'. That is, warm but mild temperatures, cool nights, and the possibility of rain ... at least until November.

Today we have clear skies, with maximum temperatures of 30 degrees Celsius and minimum temperatures below 20ºC.

We will go reading around here. I love to talk about the weather hahaha

Acerholic likes this.
  11. Acerholic

@monicasanchez good morning Monica, it sounds delightful there in Mallorca now. And to be able to sleep properly makes such a difference.
    You like to talk about the weather!!? Is there a little bit of English in you Lol.
    Hope you have a lovely cool Sunday Monica, it has been a long time coming.

12. monicasanchez

Hahaha, everything arrives. But yes, it has been a very warm summer.

I hope you have a good Sunday too :)

13. Nik

Nik Contributor

I am with Alain @AlainK ,
    I enjoy four distinct seasons. Spring in particular.
    This duet always makes me think of spring flowers.

zfrittz and Acerholic like this.
  14. Acerholic

@Nik so agree N, always reminds me of a warm, sunny Spring/Summer day.

15. Acerholic

But in a few days it's :-

zfrittz, monicasanchez and Nik like this.
  16. Acerholic

Good morning, at last a calm day with blue skies. Everything is still in my garden. So that means it must be hedge cutting day !!!!! That time again, Urghhhh.

17. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

Don't complain, lol, I would be cutting the hedge every day if I had a garden like that.
    The weather is cooling down in the south, I hope it continues like this, we have had a hard summer.

18. Acerholic

@zfrittz so glad it's changing at last J. Monica @monicasanchez also said it was becoming more comfortable in the South.

19. Acerholic

Well it's September 1st and not a cloud in the sky this morning here. Just heard that the August Bank Holiday was the coldest ever on record, with night temperatures in parts as cold as Christmas. What is going on !!!?

20. Mani

Mani Active Member

Hello again, my old friend summer!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  21. Acerholic

@Mani it does seem that way Mani, I bet we will be watering again in a week Lol.

22. Mani

Mani Active Member

@Acerholic looks like it! :D

As much as autumn and winter are nice for a change, i'm not ready to let summer go!

23. Acerholic

@Mani the forecast for the next two weeks looks nice, so fingers crossed we won't be saying goodbye to Summer just yet Mani.

Mani likes this.
  24. Acerholic

This is just amazing as @Mani said we have Summer back. Children back to school tomorrow so that sucks for them after the last few weeks of rain.
    Will we see more new growth on our maples!!!?? Who knows this year.

25. monicasanchez

There is still summer, there is still hehe

Here in Spain the children return to classes on the 10th of September. They have a little time to enjoy the mild temperatures. Although for now it remains touching the maximum 30 degrees Celsius.

Acerholic likes this.