What would you plant under Japanese snowbells?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Cantabrigienne, Feb 14, 2022.

1. Cantabrigienne

Cantabrigienne New Member

As folks in this forum might recall from my Oregon grape question a few months ago, I'm helping my building plan out some new plantings. We are required to plant 6 new trees to replace ones that were cut down while our construction permit was still open (had we waited 3 months to cut them down, this wouldn't be required as they were all very undersized...but

The arborist suggested styrax japonicus as one of the smallest Schedule D Part 1 trees. What evergreen shrubs & perennials would pair well for underplantings? They will flank the patios at the NW (sunnier) & NE corner (very shady but will get a couple of hours of direct light in the morning), which are about 18ft wide. I expect that we are going to have to tear out all our landscaping in 10-15 years for a full podium job, so I'm not too worried about the trees getting crowded.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Make visits to UBCBG, Van Dusen etc. as well as retail plant outlets, see what you like at these places and plant those.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years