What type of soil do Cacti Need?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by theftalanus, Mar 28, 2007.

1. theftalanus

theftalanus Active Member

i recently planted 20 seeds of cacti and when they are bigger than 1 inch i will transplant them from my greenhouse.....what type of soil do they require to live?

2. Kada

Kada Active Member 10 Years

anything well drained will do. grit/perlite/soil mixes are the norm. as long as the water goes doen fast adn dries ina day or so on top you are doing great. but they will do ok in most soils, just nothing that stays wet.

i often use a 40/60 mix of sand-grit/soil. thats for somewhat larger plants. seedling si like a sand/soil 40/60 to keep it more moist/humid.

3. theftalanus

thank you

4. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

I use a mix of 50/50 comercial cactus mix/perlite. Yes, I have a thing for perlite. This makes a great medium. But the top of the soil looks bad and the perlite floats up so I use a top dressing of nice stones or gravel to make the whole thing look nice.

Michael

5. theftalanus

and what is perlite?

6. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

It's those little white balls you see in commercial potting mix. It makes for good drainage and lots of airspace in the soil. They sell it almost everywhere they sell plants and soil. It's cheap and has a million uses. Depending on where you are you might see pumice instead which works largely the same way.

7. theftalanus