What to plant with alliums?

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by samsam, Sep 28, 2008.

1. samsam

samsam Member

I need suggestion of plants that will go well( in a west facing bed, north end of the garden, quite sunny) with allium spaerochephalon, allium hair, and allium ivory queen. The largest plant in the bed will be acidanthera (white flowers with touch of purple). Any ideas? SamSam

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If the Gladiolus callianthus are new I wouldn't count on a good display of flowers as this Ethiopian species seems to be pretty shy-blooming (and not very hardy) in our climate. Might also tend to come out after the alliums are over, check expected bloom times on these. Otherwise the spike-shaped flower of the glad could be an effective contrast to the rounded ones of the alliums. Look for other spike-shaped flowers liable to be out at the same time.

3. samsam

samsam Member

Thanks Ron. My Gladiolus c. bloomed beautifully this year from ? until a week ago. It is in a pot on our deck and I plan to over winter it and plant it outsidere in the spring. Even if the blooms don't coincide with the allium, I think the leaves will be a good contrast. Cheers.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Keep growing it in a pot, and overwintering under cover.