Identification: What stringy white flowers, bedding plants?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by wcutler, Jun 12, 2018.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

These stringy white flowers are maybe 3cm across, in inflorescences that might be 20cm across. The flowers would be about 60cm high, except that they flop over. I saw them on the Rhododendron path in Stanley Park.
    WhiteStringyInflorescences_StanleyParkRhodyWalk_Cutler_20180611_131132.jpg WhiteStringyInflorescences_StanleyParkRhodyWalk_Cutler_20180611_131155.jpg WhiteStringyInflorescences_StanleyParkRhodyWalk_Cutler_20180611_131406.jpg

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Looks like Trautvetteria - Wikipedia -- there should be some of these in bloom in the Rainforest Garden soon (more shade than these ones are getting)

3. wcutler

Thank you! I see there is only one species - Trautvetteria caroliniensis - should be good in the Carolinian garden too, or is that just shrubs and trees? Ranunculaceae. The "strings" are all stamens - there are no petals.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, it would be good there as well. It is one of the few pan-North American wildflowers that I know of (same species in the Carolinas as in the forests near Port Renfrew).

5. wcutler

I visited the Trautvetteria caroliniensis today - it took me forever to come up with the name again.
    Trautvetteria-caroliniensis_GreigRhodyGarden_Cutler_ 20200713_145402.jpg Trautvetteria-caroliniensis_GreigRhodyGarden_Cutler_ 20200713_145539.jpg

Right next to it was an Astrantia major that from the leaves up just to below the flowers looked identical to me. But Astrantia is in the Apiaceae family, and Trautvetteria is in Ranunculaceae. Admittedly, the flowers look nothing alike, but it's not like the Trautvetteria flowers look anything like other Ranunculaceae. Except for Actaea.
    Astrantia-major_GreigRhodoGarden_Cutler_20200713_145556.jpg