What is this succulent?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Beeker, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Beeker

Beeker Active Member

I know, it was really dumb of me to buy a plant without knowing anything about it. The tag only has a picture of the stereotypical cactus on it with no other information. I don't know why I bought it. I guess the silvery pinkish color on the leaves was eye-catching. Now, it is growing contrary to the way I thought it would... Um, sideways?! I guess it is a vine of some sort? It has feelers or roots or something growing out of the stem as if it wants to climb or run along the ground. Please help.

Attached Files:

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

probably graptopetalum...could also be a cross between grapto and something else.

it's not getting enough light so it's growing towards the light source. they need VERY high light keep their proper shape.

air roots aren't unusual.

they are a succulent, so, water well and allow the soil to dry out before watering again.

3. Beeker

Beeker Active Member

Thank you Joclyn. It looks like a graptopetalum paraguayense. Is there any way to get the shape back? Should I somehow trim it down and re-pot it?

4. joclyn

yes, you can top it off and plant it and it'll put out roots - just let the cut end callous over for a week or so before putting it in soil.

to keep it growing evenly/neatly, turn the container one quarter every couple of weeks.

5. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

It looks more like Echeveria 'Perle von Nurnberg' to me. Yes, more light -maybe repot to a bit larger pot with fresh soil. Joclyn has given good advice about its care/re-starting it. :)

6. theredben

theredben Active Member

Echeveria for sure, either "Perle von Nuremburg" or "Hybrid Metallica". I would sggest cutting off the top 1" below the nice leaves. Leave it in bright light for 1-2 weeks until you see air roots. Once the air roots have formed nicely(1/2-1" long) plant it in dry soil, let it sit for 1 week more then finally water it. That's right don't water it until the plant has had a chance to get used to the soil.

7. joclyn

thanks, rosemarie and ben, for providing the correct id!! i'm still not too good at compensating for improper growth to get the id's spot-on...

and, ben is correct about not watering it for a week after potting it up! i forgot to put that in my previous posting.

8. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Beeker,
    Don't know about your area but on the West Coast more So. towards Calif they are used as Rockery plants. If you do top it and replant the top, also try planting a section of the stem with just the air roots in the soil. Mine used to creep along amid the rocks and where ever the stem touched the soil it would root and develop a new plant. Not sure it's the same plant but sure looks like it. Mine had flowers about the same color as the pinkish parts of yours.
    barb