Identification: What is this fuzzy leaved vine?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Woodsprite, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Woodsprite

Woodsprite Active Member

I took some clippings of this vine, rooted it in water and then planted it. It's growing like crazy. It grows kind of like a wandering jew. It has fuzzy purplish/green leaves that are long and spear-shaped. No nodes or such and leaves grow every one or two inches apart.

Any care and plant managment information about this plant would also help me alot.

Thank You...for all replies

Attached Files:

• 41.jpg
      41.jpg
      File size:
      7.2 KB
      Views:
  2. plantlady62

plantlady62 Active Member

It is called a purple heart vine, a tradescantia, wondering jew, I don't know what variety it is, but it gets a purple, I think, flower. It is used as a houseplant or an annual, gets really nice outside in the sun, but acclimate it first. Good hanging basket plant. Easy to propagate.

3. Woodsprite

Woodsprite Active Member

Thanks plantlady62! I'll check that out with Aggie' Houseplants! When looking for a picture, I couldn't find one in the wandering jews...but maybe the tradescantia will work.

4. Ginger Blue

Ginger Blue Active Member

Likely Tradescantia pallida. I have it growing in my containers this summer. Makes a nice complement to greens and blues.

5. Woodsprite

Woodsprite Active Member

Sorry all, it's not Purple Heart Vine, tradescantia pallida. What is pictured shows that the leaves don't grow in pairs symmetrically. The leaves shown on the pics of those you've suggested grow in pairs at the same point on the stem. Mine does not flower and the leaves, if you will look again, are much longer.
    Keep trying...

6. Ginger Blue

Ginger Blue Active Member

Woodsprite, I don't know what pictures you referenced, but no members of Tradescantia (or any of Commelinaceae for that matter) have opposite leaves. They all have alternate leaf attachments exactly as the plant you've shown us for ID. T. pallida has leaves around 3-6" long. Maybe I'm not understanding the scale in your picture properly. Also, although your vine does not flower, it might do so in an optimal environment so that's not an identifying characteristic.

I'm not saying my ID is correct (I'm not a pro) but your reasons for discounting it aren't accurate.

7. Woodsprite

Woodsprite Active Member

Ginger Blue, my interpretation of your reference may have been premature. My comparison in actuality refers to the Purple Heart Vine. So far I have not been able to find a picture of the species to which you refer. Could you post one? I have looked through a few of my reliable sites ( however I must say that I am relatively new to plant research on the pc) and couldn't find tradescantia (pallida). A picture would really help.
    Thanks

8. Woodsprite

Woodsprite Active Member

Now that I've found a picture of the tradescantia_pallida, I can point out the differences...the plant I have is basically green, with a light purplish cast on the leaves. The leaves are also lighter on the topside than the bottom, and are very supple. I can see there is a resemblance though.
    Thanks...
    Any help and/or suggestions are appreciated!

Attached Files:

9. plantlady62

plantlady62 Active Member

Your leaves are more green because your plant is not getting enough sunlight. Yes tradescantia pallida is what it is, I just couldn't remember the variety the when I first replied. Old age you know!!!! With more sun and possibly some plant food it should bloom. Patience my dear! Then you'll see the resemblence

10. Woodsprite

Woodsprite Active Member

Okay, thank you for everyone's knowledge and wisdom in helping me to discover and understand about this plant!

11. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

yours is the purple heart wondering jew ..it just needs a lil more sunlight .. they the vines get long and scragley it needs more sun and it will get a deep purple a real beautifull color also .. and with pink flowers .. i have one ..

Marn