What is the definition of "sun"?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by maplesandpaws, Jun 8, 2012.

1. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

An unusual question, I know, but would very bright shade be sufficient for small 1-2 year grafts without making them too leggy? In our courtyard, which faces WNW, we get some indirect sun for a few hours in the morning, followed by bright to very bright shade during late morning thru mid to late afternoon, with decreasing light as the afternoon wanes into the evening.

I've attached pictures showing the progression of sun/shade throughout the day to illustrate (and also the progression of my clean up of the garden area :) - hadn't been properly tidied by the previous owner in years). As you can see, I have several of my wee babes on the bench by the courtyard wall. I thought this would be a good position for them - sun earlier in the day before it gets too warm - but even here, they look like they are struggling a bit.

When you look at the fourth picture - taken at 2:30 in the afternoon - I am thinking of rotating the bench 90 degrees, so that it is butted up the side of the house rather than the courtyard wall, and moving it a little closer to the cement front porch (where the potted azaleas are lined up). In this location, they would get bright to very bright shade, but no actual direct or indirect sun... I know sun is important, but these grafts are so young/small, that the sun they are getting is just too much...

Attached Files: