What is eating my kale?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by DoreenK, Feb 6, 2019.

1. DoreenK

DoreenK New Member

Im new here and I dont know if this is the right place to post, but my problem is that something is eating my kale, and it doesnt matter if I plant it in the greehouse or in the garden or in a pot anywhere... it continually happens on kale and broccoli, yet untouched on spinach. I will post a photo - if I can figure out how to do that.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2019
  2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Check out climbing cutworms - voracious little critters! There are some photos on Dr. Linda Gilkeson's website Linda Gilkeson | West Coast Gardening | West Coast Gardening: Natural Insect, Weed and Disease Control if you scroll down a ways. Collars placed around young plants that extend from about an inch below ground to about an inch above prevent the caterpillars from climbing up the stems. Old paper towel rolls or even shallow cans are perfect for this. To kill them outright, diatomaceous earth is effective but more expensive. Here is one of many websites with good information on controlling cutworms: Cutworms

3. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

The damage in the photos looks too extensive for cutworms to do it. I see cutworm damage all the time, and it never looks that bad. It seems like something big, like a rabbit, ate the tops off. Even deer would be suspects if it didn't happen in a greenhouse. Are there any openings into the greenhouse that a rabbit could use?

Sundrop likes this.
  4. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Hello DorrenK - I'm curious if you have figured out what is eating your kale and broccoli. If the problem is still occurring, you could put a physical barrier around one or more of the plants (something like chicken wire) and find out whether or not rabbits are responsible.

Daniel Mosquin likes this.