what exotic is very fast growing from seed?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by parkeey, Jun 4, 2008.

1. parkeey

parkeey Active Member

i was thinking of growing large amounts of an exotic and growing them, then sellin to my clients in a few years maybe, was thinking foxglove tree??

anything else like this that is a rapid grower and is easily grown from seed ? appreciate any comments..

2. koipondgardener

koipondgardener Active Member

Oranges, limes, lemons, etc. anything citrus grow fairly quickly to form a substantial tree but take time to produce fruit.

not tropical but japanese maple seeds are readily available on the net. though they do not grow quickly they do add value to your property when mature.

3. parkeey

parkeey Active Member

do u think foxglove trees r the best then, also what about shrubs in commmon.. cheers

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

No, not a good choice. Selling weeds does not make good business sense.

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I don't know where you are located--Kent could be quite a few places. You do have to be careful with trees that grow quickly from seeds, so as not to introduce or spread invasives into the environment. Locally one of the plants that grows quickly from seed but makes a desirable tree is eucalyptus.

6. parkeey

parkeey Active Member

im from kent near london, uk, suppose PAULOWNIA is a weed but i think their great arciturtual plants, and many people like them as they r unsual and rare in uk.. do u not think people would buy them then?? any other comments plz

7. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

We have them in the garden and there are some around Vancouver. They are not invasive here. They are a problem in warmer areas of th USA. May not be a bad choice for your area, if they are not invasive there.

8. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

It's a long shot, and I'm not sure they'd survive out of atria in Britain, but check out Croton lechierii (Sangre de Drago) - they sprout remarkably fast from seeds, make attractive trees, and are unlikely to become invasive. The flowers aren't much to look at, but young foliage is bright red, and the bark is a unique mottled white. Everything else I can think of is either a very slow grower, difficult to germinate, or a weed.

That's my 2 cents from the tropics.