What cuts neat half circles out of leaves

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by tritonx, Jul 18, 2012.

1. tritonx

tritonx Active Member

I've searched in the pests section and nothing's come up. Something is eating a neat half circle out of the edges of different plants in my garden--roses, rasps, lilac--whatever it is seems to like everything. I can't find an actual insect or caterpillar, just the evidence of noshing. Google hasn't been particularly forthcoming either. Hard to narrow enough. This is probably an everyday, common pest, but I don't know what it is or what to do about it. I'm on the lower Sunshine Coast.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. tritonx

tritonx Active Member

I think that might be what's doing it. In my search I had the impression they only went after roses, and the fact other plants are affected steered me off. I guess I'll just leave them to get on with it as they're important pollinators. Scallops are a nice effect too. Thanks.

4. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

I was told the bees are using the leaf cuttings to line/seperate their nests. If true - just think of it as providing baby blankets. ;)))