What can I be doing now?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Erica, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Erica

Erica Active Member

Hi All, I am fairly new to gardening as a full-blown hobby: what can I be doing in my garden right now? It's February/early March. i am not sure if I can do anything until the cold snap goes away. What are you guys doing?
    I have already done most of the clean-up.

What can I plant?
    Thanks! Erica

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

What kinds of plants do you have?

3. Erica

Erica Active Member

Hi Ron- I have most of the common garden plants.
    A large 20X20 veggie garden with raspberries, blueberries, sweet peas, sunflowers, etc.
    We have rhodos, Jasmine, hydrangea, roses, Sumac, fruit trees (apple, pear), bamboo, Cedars, Wisteria, boxwood, lavender, heather (that I think is dead), holly, bulbs (which are coming up now), lilacs, laurel, kiwi, fig, strawberries, passion flower, clematis, peonies (that I also think are dead), and a bunch of UNWANTED morning glory, and probably a lot of other plants i forgot about.
    And we have a big compost that doesn't seem to be doing much breaking down.
    Thanks! Erica

4. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

I've planted my peas a couple of weeks ago, and sprayed my apple trees with lime sulphur, dug a bed a bit bigger, ordered seeds which arrived this morning. Nex job will be to start some seedlings. The kids at my class sowed some palm seeds the other day, and transplanted some seedlings from starter trays to bigger pots.
    Carol Ja

5. Erica

Erica Active Member

Carol-
    What do you mean you planted your peas?
    Do you mean right in the garden or in a starter tray?
    If you stuck them in the garden A) How do you keep the birds away and b) When do they come up? and c) Do you plant Sweet Peas now, too?
    Thanks so much!

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

This time traditional for outdoor pea planting around here. Towhees can probably be kept out with wire mesh coverings.

Watch for slugs on bulb sprouts.

7. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

We've done our fruit tree pruning, collected some scion wood for grafting next month, pruned the blueberries, tied up the raspberries, put the first salad greens out in a cold frame, started broccoli, peppers, and tomatoes inside on heat for later transplant. I plan to plant my peas on Monday (next day I'm not working), expanded some ornamental beds, moved a few plants, ordered a few more can't-live-without plants, set up a new veggie record keeping system. It seems there is always something to do- it's finding the time to do it all in a timely fashion that seems to elude me!

8. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

I planted my peas awhile ago, early Feb, or possibly end of January. I have put in Oregon Pioneer, and Purple podded. They are under a piece of remay to keep the birds off. As of today they are about four inches tall, and I'll consider when I have a chance taking the remay off. My kids last year droppe pea seeds off the side of the deck, they sprouted, and have survived the winter. They are pretty hardy. I don't grow sweet peas, but I think they are planted a little later.
    Carol Ja