? What about using candle heating platters?

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by Karalyn, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

I was wondering about using candle heating platters which are the size of a hot cocoa mug. It actually keeps hot drinks hot or warm but they have made these things to heat candles in a jar or glass canister to melt instead of using the wick and fire to keep the candle melting to give off its aroma.

I was thinking that maybe this could be used to warm or heat something that you want to propagate on a very small scale. What are your thoughts on this idea?

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'd rather use something with a thermostat . . . too much risk of overheating with a candle.

3. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

It isn't a candle that I'm talking about, it is a heating element that can heat candle wax in a jar, it is an electric heating pad...sometimes used for heating potpourri.

http://www.candle-licious.com/html/jar_warmers.html

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

OK! Misunderstood. If the pad is set to melt candlewax (60°C or more), it could again be too hot. If it has a thermostatic control, see if it allows settings around 25° to 35°.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Probably depends on how good of a MacGyver you are.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088559/

Speaking of risk, a former neighbor here burned her garden shed using propagation mats. Maybe they were in a deteriorated condition. She certainly seemed to be.

6. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

ROTFL!!! I finally gotr back to this as I had carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand on the 26th and then on tylenol w/ codeine 2 pills evey 4 hours for 8 days and on the 9th and 10th I only needed one pill for the whole day! Stitches out, and now it is exercise time w/putty and keep my wrist splint on all the time except for exercising and bathing. but no swimming pools etc.

I love MacGyver! didn't know about the website. I think in idaho it is called gerryrigged something, who knows if the spelling is rignt, or bailing wire and inner tubes!