What’s eating my maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Lisa Harry, May 29, 2023.

1. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

53ED646A-00C1-4728-AD22-9DA75B746065.jpeg 0C637852-787A-4FBE-984E-8749C31D4689.jpeg 71DA6AA8-E4B6-492F-8210-3A54221E7D4C.jpeg Have an orange dream that has been gorgeous until like two days ago. I sprayed it with an anti aphid and whatever 3 in 1 “safer” defender. The bites are perfect circles.

AlainK likes this.
  2. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Leaf cutting bees I remember @AlainK telling me.. they pose no serious harm, just take a few discs for their nests..no halm..a good sign of biodiversity- I’d lay off the sprays against these critters

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Lisa Harry and AlainK like this.
  4. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Indeed the bigger risk is to the bees. That sums of the problems of using these various sprays, unless they are specifically marked as "safe for bees." But IIRC even the "natural" aphid sprays kill bees.

Lisa Harry and Acerholic like this.
  5. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Thanks everyone I’ve never used any sprays in the past but I have a coral bark that seems to be eaten to death almost (not the exact same as orange dream) and I had tons of aphids on a honeysuckle vine. That orange dream looked so amazing and then all of a sudden it’s missing these perfect little discs. I know for next time. Thanks for the help

6. Otto Bjornson

Otto Bjornson Contributor

We intentionally have honey suckle planted just for that reason. Aphids love it and it keeps them away from the other plants / trees
    Also, roses seem to attract the aphids. We always had roses in our green house so that the aphids would cluster on them rather then the young grafts. Seemed to work as we never applied any sprays

Lisa Harry likes this.
  7. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Thanks @Otto Bjornson i was just gonna plant another honeysuckle might change my location now. I find broccoli is a magnet for aphids so I stopped planting it in my vegetable garden.