Identification: weird yellow mushrooms

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by heder4789, Jun 12, 2009.

1. heder4789

heder4789 Member

I have recently put new bark mulch in my front flower bed, and these strange yellow mushrooms (i guess they are mushrooms) have started to come up. Can anyone please help me, in identifying them and how to get rid of them? As you can see in one of the pictures, one of them is actually growing on the concrete! When i break them open, they are black and gooey on the inside. They start as a bright yellow goo type substance, and turn into a dark orange ball type thing with a hard shell on the outside. PLEASE HELP!!

Attached Files:

2. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Now THAT appears to be a smile mold, what people call Fulgio septica.

3. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Quite a lovely specimen, too. It's not hurting anything, so if I were you I'd just let it be. They're actually kind of fascinating in a gory sort of way.

4. heder4789

heder4789 Member

thats the problem, they are gross looking. "Gory" Do you know how to get rid of them?! They wont hurt anybody, or the animals?

5. lorax

You can always just scrape the blooms off with a trowel or shovel and throw them in the compost, where they'll help your yard waste break down. They won't hurt your pets or your friends or your plants, and in fact they're great decomposers.

6. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

If you don't want it, you could wrap it up and send it to me!

7. heder4789

heder4789 Member

now why would you want it?! ITS SO GROSS!! :-)

8. lorax

Because it's fascinating, that's why!

9. heder4789

heder4789 Member

well i'd LOVE to send them to you, but im not sure how well they would make it! HAHA :-)

10. lorax

From Killeen to Dallas? That's not too far, really. You don't need to send them to me, I've got my own fungi.

11. heder4789

heder4789 Member

haha, well im glad, im not sure what the postmaster would say if i told them i was sending fungus to ya! :-)

12. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

LOL! I love LOVE slime moulds! And I know it sounds weird but LUCKY YOU to get one of u'r own! The 'dog vomit' one is one of the most commonly gotten one because it LOVES the compost/wood chips people put in their yards soooo much.
    Seriously? It only lasts a few days...then it darkens and you can just stir up the compost/chips some and it'll help just decompose any rotting/dying matter in the garden area it's located. It won't affect you're plants/animals/humans.......although I've never heard of a human injesting at this point.....hmmmmmmmm

13. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

If you could send a scoop to me, I'd be glad to send you a few loquat seeds or a cutting. I need a good decomposing fungus, and they don't pop up commonly in Texas.