Weeping JM with tiny leaves

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Margot, May 25, 2023.

1. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I saw a lovely weeping Japanese Maple at Milner Gardens in Qualicum Beach, BC with extremely tiny green leaves . . . maybe an inch or inch-and-a-half across. I couldn't take a picture but hoping to find out which cultivar or cultivars have leaves so small.

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

My (potted) 'Ryusen' has rather small leaves, but not so small : 3.5cm x 4cm.

Maybe the tree was weeping because no one wouls adopt him, you should have given him a home full of love and care... ;°)

EDIT : just calculated that an inch and a half is about 3.75 cm.
    I went out to take some photos, the first one is from the top (gets some sun from 4 to 8), the last one from the bottom (almost always in the shade):

acerp-ryusen_230526a.jpg acerp-ryusen_230526b.jpg acerp-ryusen_230526c.jpg

(an inch is 2.54 cm)

Last edited: May 26, 2023
  4. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Thanks for the suggestions but I don't think the maple I saw was Ryusen. I have sent a request for identification but don't know if or when I'll hear back. Milner Gardens is an old ocean-front estate with many unusual trees and shrubs, not all labelled. If I get back there, I'll be sure to take a photo and re-submit this post. https://milnergardens.viu.ca/

upload_2023-5-26_15-54-44.png