Weeping Cherry Tree

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Leroy F Miller, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Leroy F Miller

Leroy F Miller Member

We live in Northern Indiana near South Bend, IN and are woundering how to prun our nearly 5 year old weeping cherry?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Except for preventing rootstock suckers from growing up through and overwhelming the weeping scion, these are best left alone, for the most part. What is the issue? You want to mow under it? Long branches writhing around on the ground, like snakes? The latter could be tipped back, if desired, but the too-popular lopping back of the weeping branches, in the manner of a salad bowl haircut defeats the purpose of the tree.

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

hear hear Ron. good advice as always.

4. where do weeping cherry trees originally grow and thrive? is it japan?

5. I, also live in northern Indiana, have tried to plant a weeping cherry... unsuccessfully. I plan to try again, but hope to find out what i did wrong. I removed the clay soli from the hole and added mushroon compost. I watered everyday the first week- perhaps overwatered? Is root-stimulator a bad idea? Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

7. mr.shep

mr.shep Well-Known Member 10 Years

I am being a little too technical but many flowering
    Cherries will cascade while in bloom.

Below is a pendula form. This tree is grafted
    high and then the branches become pendulous.

http://www.monrovia.com/PlantInf.ns...219c5!OpenDocument&Highlight=0,weeping,cherry

This one is technically a weeper. Notice the
    difference between the shape of a weeper
    and one that is pendulous?

http://www.monrovia.com/PlantInf.ns...8064e360695c60428825684d00721a4c!OpenDocument

This Cherry is one that cascades.

http://www.monrovia.com/PlantInf.ns...81dc22fb757f92cd8825684d007219f3!OpenDocument

So does this one cascade some.

http://www.monrovia.com/PlantInf.ns...4ce378225659bb9588256f09005b88e8!OpenDocument

Talking about a Weeping Cherry has three meanings
    to me.

Ron is right that we do not amend the soils for Cherries,
    either fruiting or flowering. Mushroom compost placed
    at the bottom of a planting hole can be toxic to the roots
    even when that compost has been thoroughly steam
    sterilized. Even then, most any kind of compost placed
    in the bottom of a planting hole is not good for root
    systems. Forest humus with no added Nitrogen for
    Coastal Redwoods is a different story for most of them
    grown here in the San Joaquin Valley. The original
    clay soil dug out and placed back in the hole would
    have been much better for the tree.

Jim

8. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

The following was sent via email:

I purchaed a young weeping cherry about 6 feet tall. I live in Upstate New York and the soil in my area is clay. I was thinking of planting the tree in a new birm that consists of 1/2 high grade topsoil and 1/2 compost but I am concerned as other young plants failed here due to the richness of the soil. The birm in an unprotected area subject to winter wind. My only other alternative is to set the tree in the original clay soil near the front of my house that will get some protection from winter wind.
    Can you assist me in the planting and give me your advice as to birm vs. clay and whether or not planting near the house is a better idea due to severe upstate New York winters and the house provides some protection. I have noticed that most weeping cherry trees in the area are planted near homes. My cherry is the white fountain type.
    Thanks so much, I am getting anxious to plant and cannot find any help.

Brenda

9. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Brenda, not knowing your climate very well at all I can't guess whether the cherry will need the help of the house as a windbreak. Perhaps your area is getting close to the hardiness limit of a cherry, esp. the grafted type, if other people are only growing them in more sheltered positions.

Planting in a berm of good soil and compost shouldn't be a problem, indeed my berm of pure compost 3ft. deep has produced amazing growth of everything planted in it. What leads you to conclude that the rich soil has been killing plants in the berm? Not saying it couldn't just wondering if you're quite sure of the cause...The main problem with berms is trying to keep that raised soil area moist enough.

10. Thank you for your response to my concern about Weeping Cherry Trees. It was suggested to me by a garden shop that very young, first year plants cannot tolerate too rich of soil and do not have the hardiness to survive. I was advised to plant established plants. As for the tree, there are many, many in my area and I am sure that being, the consumers here in Upstate New York are considered to be very conservative in buying and would not attempt to nuture anything that was too fragile. Therefore, I believe the tree would survive albeit, in a somewhat protected area. I was just wanting to venture out a little further in this thinking and wanting to display the tree in a birm for all to see.

If you have any further thoughts as to whether I should use the clay soil as is, or should I mix it wth compost/manure to fill in the hole after planting, I would sincerely appreciate your response.

Thanks again, Brenda