Weeds in the Native Plants garden

Discussion in 'Talk about UBC Botanical Garden' started by unther, Aug 20, 2007.

1. unther

unther Active Member

This seemed to be the place to post Botanic Garden feedback, so here it is. During my visit to the Garden yesterday, I noticed both a lot of Convolvulus arvense and a few purple loostrife in the BC native plants garden. Although I can tell that regular maintenance is done throughout the Garden, these thugs are still very much in need of attack. Perhaps a few energetic undergrads could be conscripted to address these guys before they grow out of control?

-Nathan Miller
    Newberg, OR

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi Nathan,

I've sent your comment along to the folks here in charge of this.

I do need to mention that the garden benefits from having skilled and unionized employees. While it might seem that pulling a few weeds is something that doesn't require a lot of skill, there are corollary tasks that go along with weeding in a botanical garden: checking that the nearby non-weedy plants are properly labelled, looking for damage or disease, maintaining a horticultural familiarity with that area so that trends can be monitored (e.g., a particularly valuable accession is declining year-after-year because of increasing shade), and so on. In a perhaps-counterintuitive way, conscripting undergrads would actually be less efficient in the big-picture care of this garden.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ah, and I do need to add - yes, we'll take care of those thugs.