Weather - whether good or bad

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by Margot, Apr 11, 2021.

1. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks for the link, very interesting. I spent about half an hour on it.

Of course, this is not good at all for the people who have lost their lives or even their cattle and property. I saw another report about it on TV today, and it's very saddening. You can put out a fire, but you can't stop the water I remember my mother saying one day...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

We feel sick thinking about all the suffering going on around us; people and animals too. Here on Vancouver Island we hear reports of long line-ups for food and gas; everyone feels so vulnerable even if they have not experienced any damage first-hand.

@Gerogia Strait . . . I have heard that Russell Farms has been hard hit again, about 21 months after the flood in February 2020 and 14 months after they reopened last year.
    Flood swamps Russell Farm Market as North Cowichan reels from rain - Victoria Times Colonist

wcutler, Georgia Strait and AlainK like this.
  3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Abbotsford, one of Canada’s most intensively and diversely farmed areas, was among places hardest hit. Home to more than 1,200 farms, it supplies half of the dairy, eggs and poultry consumed by British Columbia’s 5.2 million residents.
    Canada floods leave thousands of farm animals dead and more trapped

Communities in western Canada are bracing for more damage as torrential rain is forecasted next week in areas already devastated by heavy flooding.
    Residents brace for torrential rains in already flooded western Canada

Canada storm: floods could lead to country-wide shortages as air force deployed to British Columbia – live

'Once in 500 years' British Columbia flooding leaves behind disaster | Daily Mail Online

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    Georgia Strait likes this.
  4. AlainK

What can we do, what can I say ?...

Courage !

5. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    @AlainK
    Thank you for thinking of us
    Merci !
    I hope for farmers and their herds and flocks
    And appreciate the heavy equipment opérateurs and the flaggers and military and so many more

Off the main topic - I was curious about title of Facebook page link posted above because it reminded me of a fantastic old tv show made at the (then circa 1990s) somewhat independent station in Kelowna BC

Mike Roberts was the very popular news anchor and clearly dressed up for this show :)

Bill Barlee (in denim jean jacket) really was like that — tho wore proper dress shirt tie for his job as an elected MLA for Boundary région in our BC legislature (like a state level govt) and was (my opinion) an effective Min of Agriculture Bill Barlee - Wikipedia

if you’re curious about BC etc - look around YouTube etc for Old vidéo copies of this program « gold trails and ghost towns »

Margot likes this.
  6. AlainK

Looks interesting, but 44 minutes and I should already be in bed... I'll watch it tomorrow or at the weekend now ;0)

PS : what I also liked was the photos of "totems". I discovered the culture and arts of the native communities (Haida, Salish, Tlingit,...) rather late in my life but I found it fascinating.

7. Georgia Strait

For those of us who are very curious

This is an excellent YouTube video LINK BELOW

it gets a little bit long esp if one doesn’t know the area

however it’s about taking food from Abbotsford area up to Hope BC

where there are people still sheltering from huge fire that destroyed Lytton this past summer PLUS those stranded by recent events

And then the pilot brings back some people who’ve been « stranded » in Hope

One from Penticton
    One from Bellingham WA
    And - a VIP guest (spoiler: paws)

the huge black smoke at begin is the large RV dealership that literally went up in smoke the other morning

for those who know - that’s just east of Exit 95 Whatcom Road at the base of Sumas Mtn

thé USA border is just a few mile to the right hand side of video

8. Georgia Strait

AlainK, wcutler and maf like this.
  9. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

10. Georgia Strait

11. Margot

My wonderful old Grammy (b. 1902) used to say trouble always comes in 3s. That made me mad because I hate superstitions. I was getting a bit worried lately that she might have been right after a string of 3 'aggravations' including flooding in the suite (from the big storm), deer fence taken down (by water and debris from the storm) plus our heat pump compressor wearing out. @Keith Elliott related a similar trio of misfortunes. Maybe Grammy was right!

Now with record cold temperatures in the forecast and worries about how I can protect 60 rhododendron plants' buds with only 10 sheets . . . our seldom-used oil furnace has also quit. Now it's all on the inadequate, 'energy-efficient' fireplace.

Well, Grammy, trouble sometimes comes in 4s! But compared to what so many others in BC are going through this Christmas, it is almost funny - except that I tend to lose my sense of humour when I'm cold.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
  12. Margot

Out the kitchen window . . .

upload_2021-12-28_12-11-47.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2021
    Georgia Strait and wcutler like this.
  13. AlainK

So nice... when it comes at the right time and is not too extreme, and goes when it's time.

Margot, Georgia Strait and wcutler like this.
  14. Georgia Strait

Oh… the infamous staircase water feature from a few wks ago :)

15. Margot

How to Grow and Propagate Icicles
    1. Ensure several weeks of below-freezing weather.
    2. Provide significant heat loss through the ceiling/roof.

Icicles - December 30 - 1.JPG Icicles - December 30 - 2.JPG
    Up to 5-feet long. I wish carrots were so easy to grow.

wcutler and AlainK like this.
  16. AlainK

Reminds me of Manhattan Transfer's version of "Popsickle toes". Ladies always seem to have frozen feet, huh huh ;-)

Margot likes this.
  17. Georgia Strait

Music and gardens —

Margot - your popsicle display is impressive (I hope it does not crash down)

Speaking of which — we think this is the best version —-we’ve seen him a couple of times at outdoor festivals (along w/ Manhattan Transfer who are wonderful too)

thé rétro 70s tv talk show set is classic!

AlainK likes this.
  18. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

2021 climate change at Vancouver Airport (YVR) - I've been tracking YVR weather for more than 10 years, using data that goes back to 1937, to chart the progress of global warming. I just updated my database to include 2021 and thought that it might be useful to present some charts that could be of interest to other forum members. So, here are charts for YVR yearly average temperatures, maximum temperatures, minimum temperatures, and precipitation totals. I included the -15.3 degree minimum temperature for December, 2021, as the minimum for this winter; but that could change (though unlikely). I noticed that temperatures are not exactly going up like a hockey stick.

Attached Files:

Sulev and Margot like this.
  19. AlainK

Record highs in 70 years here, and I think it's the same in Britain...
    Back to normal this week though it will still be around 14°C this afternoon.

20. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Nice work!
    The 30-year average is increased ca 0.5...1.5 degrees (C), during last 54 years.
    How much of that is caused by technology shift, how much by methodology shift and how much by actual increase of temperature?

21. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Sulev, I think that the temperature changes are quite accurate. The technology has changed, but 1937 thermometers were capable of providing reasonably accurate readings. The values were probably recorded manually, but there is no reason for any systemic bias. And YVR is located on a peninsula isolated sufficiently far from Vancouver's heat island to avoid its impact.

22. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

What I mean by technology shift? Former analog instruments were replaced with modern digital instruments. there was shift in the way how these instruments measure environmental parameters. For instance, temperature was formerly measured by how much a liquid material is shrinking or swelling at certain temperature, but now they measure how electrical resistance is changing together with temperature changes. Besides the difference in measuring principle, new instruments have slightly different calibration curve and different response time (inertia). All that affects measuring results, not much, but certain amount for sure.

Together with technology shift, there was methodology shift. Measurements nowadays are done automatically just at the right moment, numbers are fixed digitally at the exact precision of the instrument. Previously there was human factor involved, somebody had to walk trough all the instruments and to take their readings. That took time, person could be late (readings taken at slightly different times), could make a mistake when reading instrument, etc. Even instruments positions are slightly shifted, because often old analog instruments are still there, and digital ones are added nearby. After fully manual work there was semi automatic recording, where instrument readings were constantly drawn onto the paper roll or disk. Then every slight difference in preprinted scale on the roll or disc, or not precise placement of timing scale affected readings considerably. Human factor played still large role even then. Now computers do the job, human factor is mostly ruled out, only if software has some bugs or glitches, there can things go wrong, and now already in a very large scale.

When I visited our Weather Service at their 100 year jubilee, they presented their measuring instruments on their actual field. At temperature booth I recognized, that old analog instruments (a pair of spirit based glass thermometers), that were still there for just in case (digital readings are now official), presented more than 1ºC lower temperature than their digital thermometers. At the same time we are talking about human induced temperature change +0.5ºC during the half century!

Do you know, what year there was transfer from full manual to semi automatic measurement, and when happened digitizing of Vancouver Airport's weather station? Do these years show off of your graphs?

23. AlainK

24. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

It would seem that the measurements at that location can't be the whole story. According to 8 Facts You Should Know about the Polar Ice Caps Melting (theearthproject.com)

AlainK likes this.
  25. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

When these weather stations modernised their measurement instruments and went digital?
    Was there any significant construction activity (new buildings, new paved roads etc) near the measurement plot during this period? New buildings, roads, parking plots, increased traffic nearby instruments may significantly change local microclimate. IWithout such background information these graphs are pretty much meaningless. It would be interesting to see, how these measurement plots and their surroundings looked like 100 years ago, and now.